How to determine power consumption of my pool pump.

silver02gt

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 19, 2010
Rural Southern Illinois
I have been running my pool pump 24/7 for better than a week, and I just started wondering how much I can look forward to my electric bill jumping up. It is a 1 hp Hayward pump. I'm sure I will need more technical details from my pump, but if someone could give me some kind of formula or something to figure out, or tell me what info from pump to post on here, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks once again for all of your vast knowledge!!!
David

Unfortunately, I don't have any data on that pump but you can use the label rating to get an upper limit which would be about 1265 watts. Normally pumps will run lower than their ratings unless they are operating close to the best efficiency point which is typical with low head loss plumbing.

I think yours is similar to our old single-speed. I ran that one no more than ten hours per day, which is all we needed for our 17,000 gallon pool, and it ran about $90/mo. We switched to a 2-speed, run it on low 24/7 and it runs us around $30-36/mo. If you're going to stick with a single-speed, you don't need to run it 24/7 for your 17,000 pool. I can't find the formula I used to figure how much the 2-speed would cost us when we were trying to decide if it was worth the cost of replacing our single-speed. Suffice it to say, it was well worth the cost/effort to replace it! But it also depends on what your utility rate is. Ours is 12.7 cents.

I know on my hayward 1.5 hp Flow-Matrix -- I pull about 13.2 amps measured at the breaker panel with my clamp on AC meter. So that equates to 13.2amps x 120 volts is equal to 1584 watts of power consumed. So I am pulling 1.584 kilowatts / hr --my rate fluctuates some per amount used -- up to 1000 kwh is .1425 1001 to 2000 is .135 kwh so I average out at about 14 cents per kwh ... --So it cost me roughly about 20 to 21 cents an hour to run my pump. I am set up for 9 hours a day because of the hot temps lately-- so ball park it costs me 1.85 a day ... 55 a month... the price of having a nice luxury in the backyard---but well worth it here ....

Cherie, I am running my pump 24/7 because I am "turning my green swamp into a sparkling oasis." I won't always keep it on, the system is rated to turn over 24k gallons in 8 hours. As soon as my pool is clear, I will only run it 8. Thanks again for everyone for your input. I truly appreciate it!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.