Preparing for heavy rains

Jul 2, 2009
So with the prospect of Alex coming ashore in SE Texas, I'm looking at the possibility of 12 inches of rain. Typically, when I get one of these heavy rains, the pool turns brown / green and I have to run my pump for about 3 straight days to clear things up. I've always suspected it to be dirt and gunk that washes in from the yard, flower beds and the large Oak tree that hangs over the pool. I've had some folks suggest that it is in fact algae and that raising my chlorine level may prevent the issue. My question is this... is it sufficient to simply stay at the high end of the CYA/chlorine chart recommendations or should I keep it at shock level until the rains pass? Has anyone else ever had a a similar issue and figured out a way to prevent it?

I think that shocking your pool before it hits would be a wise thing to do. It sure can't hurt anything and it may save you a bunch of trouble over those few days. I know that when we are expecting a bunch of rain here, I will almost always raise the FC 2 or 3 ppm in advance just to stave off any problems.

I'm curious to see what those living in FL have to say about this very topic.

Preparing for a heavy organic load would probably mean making sure the filter was clean, the skimmers are clean, the FC at the top of reasonable range maybe into shock level, and the pool water level as low as is practical.

My neighbor told me that as hurricane prep he was told to lower the pool level to the halfway mark, which they did for Ike. Not sure if I would do that since I'm not sure how to circulate without simmers, but I guess I could figure out the valve settings if I tried.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.