Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water after days of filtering and BBB

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water after days of filtering and BBB

Hey guys, I was referred to this board by a friend that swears by the method a few months ago, and have been lurking and learning since then. I have learned a lot about how this pool I inherited works, but I am at a deadend on this one.

My chemical numbers are correct, based on the pool calculator. I replaced all 8 laterals and the sand in my PacFab Tagelus T60 filter a week ago. I have been running my filter for a week at shock levels 24/7 since then and the water is still green/cloudy. I just got a watertech blue diamond yesterday and have run it through 4 cycles already (90 minute cycles). The stuff I am washing out of the filter bag is a beige sandy material, that clumps together. I have removed and replaced the top couple of inches of sand in the filter already, but when I backwash, the water passing through the peek window is not very dirty at all, despite the increasing of the pressure on the filter gauge. Am I missing something?

14,000 gallon in-ground pool, 1.5 HP pump, Tagelus T60 sand filter, WaterTech Blue Diamond, also have a Polaris 360.
    25000 plaster diving 20'x 36'; SWG; Agua logic; 1 hp hayward cartridge;1-1.5 booster pump; 3ton natural waterfall; flagstone coping; 2 main drains; P-4timer; classic kreepy krauley

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy water after days of filtering and BBB

Welcome to TFP.

What is your CYA level and what shock level are you using?

The first 30 seconds or so will have clear water in your site glass. You'll want to backwash for 3 or 4 minutes typically.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome

It sounds like you need to open some POP (pool owner patience). It is not uncommon for it to take this long.

What are your levels? If you have CC or FC overnight loss > 1.0 you need to keep shocking. That stuff you are collecting is probably dead algae, so keep shocking until you are done, and let the filter do it's job. If you want to speed up the filtering process you can add DE to your filter.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

cya is 90 (believe it or not, I just had to drain 50% of the water to get it *down* to that. The previous owner used pool shock granules for everything), FC is ~20, after I add bleach to bring it to shock levels. I do lose some overnight.

Just found out my TA is high (~200). I am working on lowering it, but could that cause the issue as well?
    25000 plaster diving 20'x 36'; SWG; Agua logic; 1 hp hayward cartridge;1-1.5 booster pump; 3ton natural waterfall; flagstone coping; 2 main drains; P-4timer; classic kreepy krauley

5. Back To Top    #5

Not likely, but a full set, including PH and CH would rule it out. What are you testing with?

It will be very difficult for you to clear it with CYA at 90. You should consider another partial drain/refill....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    It will be very difficult for you to clear it with CYA at 90. You should consider another partial drain/refill....
    Yup...with CYA of 90, your shock level is around 35 and you want to keep it as close to 35 during the shock process.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

Testing with a TF-100; What else, right?

ok, so a partial drain and refill. I don't have a swg, so is the recommended CYA level always 30 to 50? so I need to redrain about half my water again.

Sheesh. OK, so I know what I am doing this weekend.

The first time I drained it, my CYA was down to 70. Now it is reading 90 again. The only CYA that should have gone in is from my tablets in my inline chlorine dispenser; everything else has been straight clorox, with frequent backwashings. Is it possible to have that much of a jump in less than a month from just the tablets?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonepool
    Testing with a TF-100; What else, right?
    Right!

ok, so a partial drain and refill. I don't have a swg, so is the recommended CYA level always 30 to 50? so I need to redrain about half my water again.
    30 to 50 is the general recommendation for a non SWG pool. Some folks, (depending on their location (city/state) & amount of sun on their pool, etc.) run a little higher with success. But, with a higher CYA level comes a higher shock level.

Sheesh. OK, so I know what I am doing this weekend.

The first time I drained it, my CYA was down to 70. Now it is reading 90 again. The only CYA that should have gone in is from my tablets in my inline chlorine dispenser; everything else has been straight clorox, with frequent backwashings. Is it possible to have that much of a jump in less than a month from just the tablets?You can calculate the amount added by the tabs using Jason's Pool Calculator (link in my sig) at the "Effects of adding chemicals...." section near the bottom.

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

If you could get CYA down to the 60-70 range, it would be more manageable and then by next season after some more water replacement, your CYA should be down some more.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

In 14,000 gal pool, 3 trichlor tabs a week, at 7 oz each, for 4 weeks (= 84 oz total), will raise CYA by 25 per Pool Calculator "Effects of adding Chemicals" at the bottom of the page.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

11. Back To Top    #11

I had no idea those tablets would bump those numbers up so quickly. I have been running my chloinator full bore trying to keep the bleach levels high during the day. Good to know.

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok, cya is down to 60. Cl is....embarrassingly high. I got a litttle overzealous.

Whila I was waiting on the water to stop glowing, i tore apart my multi port valve and found that some of the seeds from my vitex had forced their way between the spider gasket and the plastic of the valve. I am hoping that that might explain some of what appears to be poor filtering performance. I hope that is the case, between the chemicals, the parts and the blue diamond, i am over budget for this thing. Thanks again for all your help. I will post results after in a day or so.

13. Back To Top    #13

OK over the weekend I drained 1/3 of the pool, refilled with clean water and nuked the sucker with an obscene amount of 6% bleach. Pool is so blue it glows now, but there is still a cloudiness to the water, despite still running the filter 24/7. I know that POP is called for here, but i have been filtering for over two weeks now and it has gone from brown cloudy to blue cloudy. Are we still in the reasonable waiting period for clearing up, or should I be trying a change in tactics, such as adding DE to the filter or troubleshooting the chemistry more?

14. Back To Top    #14

How long has it been since you passed the overnight chlorine loss test?

It takes a few days after that for the filter to clear the pool. If it's been a few days and it doesn't appear to be getting any clearer, it may be time to employ other tactics.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Have you passed the overnight test? Until you pass the overnight test you still have organics in your pool and need to continue shocking. Test your water at dusk when the sun is off the pool and record the FC level. Get up early and test the water at dawn, before there is full sun on the pool. Record the FC and the CC. Compare the FC results. If you lose 1ppm or less overnight (at least 8 hours) and your CC is .5ppm or less you are done shocking.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!