We've had the pool for 5 years, no problem until recently.
Water had been clear and nice. A few weeks ago it started getting milky (no algae, just kinda milky blue-white).
Took sample to LPS (local pool store) for analysis (no, don't have test kit, getting one TODAY).
They told me to shock it. Used 5 pounds of Ca-Hypo (sorry, THEIR advice, again I'm new to group). Water got REALLY cloudy. LPS guy said "That's because it is reacting with organics".
At night and in morning FC= 3, by mid morning FC=0 and TC=0.
Water eventually clears some, but with FC=0 LPS says "shock it more", I shock again and it clouds again.
The pool itself is beautiful (ZERO algae), but the water just doesn't sparkle - at times it is pretty milky.
Also can't seem to get any residual FC for any length of time.
LPS was thinking that CYA was too high, tying up Cl, suggested a partial drain and fill.
Looking at the TFP site, it suggests that with a lot of direct sun, I might need even more CYA.
Two more bits of info: pool gets LOTS of direct sun and water's been REALLY warm (as high as 97° - I said lots of sun). I also noticed after a cloudy cool day yesterday, this morning the pool temp has dropped to 91 and water has cleared.
Here is what I'm thinking: Pool is actually pretty clean (biologically), but with the high temperature the CH and Ca-Hypo are combining to form a calcium salt, which is clouding the water. Meanwhile the sun is cooking my FC.
I shocked the pool this am with 5 gal of Na-Hypo (bleach) and will switch to Na-hypo from now on.
Anyone know of a cheap source of bleach in the north Dallas area, let me know!