Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rescued a bat!

1. Back To Top    #1

Rescued a bat!

To my surprise, I opened the back door and found a bat laying on the doormat. It appeared injured and was kind of flopping around. Eventually it crawled across the lawn and up our rock retaining wall and nestled in between two rocks. I called animal rescue and they said bats could not fly unless they were around 15 feet above ground(didn't know that.) They suggested I put on leather gloves and put it in a tree. Well, thats what I did. It hung out there most of the day, and I checked an hour ago and it was gone. Hopefully it made it out OK. Another fact I did not know is that they can eat around 1200 insects an hour. So I hope he hangs around. He did hiss at me and show his teeth while I was handling him.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    17,500 gallon 18x36 gunite pool
    Hayward super II 1.5 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter
    Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG 35K, Raypak R6350TI-E HeatPump
    Solar cover, Loop Lok winter Cover
    Artisian Antigua hot tub, Polk Atrium 4's

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rescued a bat!

Good job - you are much braver than I am!

We have bats swooping down across our pool, back and forth, around late dusk every night...honestly they scare the c-r-a-p out of me and I go inside when they start up. Long story short, 5 bats got into our mountain home (log cabin) when I was a little girl, and the trauma of watching my mom try to get them out of the house with a broom is hard-wired in my brain!
    18x36 IG Vinyl, 8.5 deep, 28K, Hayward C4025 SwimClear Filter, Hayward SP2607X10 Super Pump 1HP

3. Back To Top    #3

A sickly or injured appearing bat should probably be called in to your animal control service. They are common rabies vectors. I hope that you washed your hands really well after handling it.

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/bats/index.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Yay!!

I did a lot of caving in my college years and have been in VERY close proximity to bats. The rabies issue is overstated (you are much more likely to get rabies from dogs), but you do have to be extra careful if the bat is injured, disoriented, or can't fly since this can be a symptom of rabies. Apparently non-bite transmission of rabies is possible.

As OP stated, bats are a huge benefit in controlling insect populations. Bats are currently threatened by a new condition called White Nose Syndrome, which is decimating some populations of bats in the northeast, and appears to be spreading.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    A sickly or injured appearing bat should probably be called in to your animal control service. They are common rabies vectors. I hope that you washed your hands really well after handling it.

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/bats/index.html

I definitely didn't touch it with my bare hands, I used some heavy leather gloves. Animal control stressed to never touch one with bare hands as they Will bite. Although this one did not try to bite me.

I have a friend that lives in the middle of town and has bats swooping down nightly. So I'm surprised this is the first one I've seen since I am not in town.
    17,500 gallon 18x36 gunite pool
    Hayward super II 1.5 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter
    Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG 35K, Raypak R6350TI-E HeatPump
    Solar cover, Loop Lok winter Cover
    Artisian Antigua hot tub, Polk Atrium 4's

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!!

IMO, ya done good!

We're all God's critters and we've been given dominion over the Earth, we should help out the 'lower orders' when we can.

I fully agree with 7pup on the actual danger of rabies transmission from bats, but it IS a possibility and, therefore, it's best to take all reasonable precautions!

Thank you for this uplifting post!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)