Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: In ground pool plumbing

1. Back To Top    #1

In ground pool plumbing

I am installing a steel wall in ground pool and have a couple of plumbing questions.

Are 2 - 45 degree fittings better than 1 - 90 degree fitting or does it matter.

Pictures show my intentions. I have not yet glued the connections.

Does anyone have a picture of their plumbing before back filling.

Thanks ... uild89.jpg ... uild88.jpg
    Shasta IGP - ~13,000 gal. - Pebbletec - Spa - Waterfall - Cartridge - Propane - Intellichlor SWG - VS-3050 - Easytouch - fiber optics

2. Back To Top    #2

South Central NJ

Re: In ground pool plumbing

For practical purposes, using two 45s to make a 90 does not make a difference except it's a pair of extra glue joints.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3
    WoyWoy Australia

I think two 45 joined to form a 90 would give less resistance as the angle is not as sharp more curved but it probably would be much unless you had a of of 90 in your plumbing .
    7 meter by 2 Meter pebblecrete , VF intelliflo , Pentair ECO-CHLOR 25 , 5 helicol Sunx 40 solar panels & a Associated controls solar controller with an intellicom 3 to control the VF and relay to switch to valves .

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW Louisiana

Yes, sweeping curves are better than sharp corners, just make sure you have pressure type PVC fittings not the shorter glue joint drain DWV type fittings (45's are a lot more common in dwv). I had to jackhammer up the concrete at the corner of my pool earlier this year because someone used a DWV elbow fitting on the return line (it lasted for 30 years almost to the week before blowing out).

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Mas985 has done the math but I can remember that he has said many times that 2-45's simply aren't worth it. Use the 90's.

If you would liketo reduce the resistance in your system AND make a better pool, I would suggest purchasing a filter that's a little larger than normal.....around 125% or so of your pumps gpm. That'll more than make up for all the resistance within the 90's and give you a better system to boot.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6
    Pleasanton, CA

An isolated 45 has a little less than half the head loss of a 90. However, if you put two back to back it can actually be more than a 90 because of the interaction between the fittings and the fact that you have twice the glue joints. So given the uncertainty as to how it would actually work in a real installation, I generally do not recommend back to back 45's or at best indifferent. They take up more room too.

As for swept 90s, if you have a lot of 90s it may be worth it but I remember seeing a pad with nearly all swept 90s and it was a real mess. They take up a lot of room so the lay out tends to be really messy. Underground would be fine though.

My usual recommendation is that upsizing the pipe diameter is a far better choice than dealing with special fittings.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Just use the fitting that gives you the tightest group!

Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8
    New Jersey shore

That retun line on an angle isnt a great idea... didnt read everyones post so that may have already been said. But once you back fill, the dirt may "push" on that pipe and cause major problems. I would come out of the pool wall a few inches, into a 90, then straight down to the ground.

P.s, holy glue joints batman
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]