Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Left the multi-switch on rinse?

1. Back To Top    #1

Left the multi-switch on rinse?

Ok. Just got a big old 3 inch rain in a hour and a half, so I thought I'd use the extra water to backwash real good. And I did. Then I let it rinse for a while. Turned the pump off and left the switch in the rinse position. Ran a couple errands, got back an hour or so later and was gonna drain the pool back down to normal skimer level by just running the pump to waste. Low and behold, I find the water level at the bottom of the skimmer and now I'm ADDING water after all that rain! So please tell me that just leaving the switch in the Rinse position caused it to keep on draining while I was gone. Is this a typical newbie pool owner mistake? Got the hose running in it now and it seems to be rising. I just figured I had some kinda pool washout/liner ripping nightmare on my hands. Let others be warned! Full chemical rerun in the a.m. I guess--------if it has water in it still!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Left the multi-switch on rinse?

Perfectly normal. Sounds like you just siphoned off water til you hit the bottom of the skimmer. Sleep well!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

At least it's not a bad multi-switch I guess. Thanks for the response.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep, same thing happened to me last year...I went to the pool store got a liner patch kit, got out the food coloring to do leak hunting and was all ready to go diving to find my leak when my father called...told him what I was doing and he asked...did you put your valve back on filter? Couple of seconds of silence later...ooops. Off to get the hose and start refilling.
    So I'll attest to common problem!
    25k gal vinyl AquaRite T-15

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep rinse sends water through the filter just like "filter" position does but instead of going to the pool return it goes out of the waste hose.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!