Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: immovable iron stain

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

immovable iron stain

A friend had a round BBQ grill grate fall into his pool over the winter (undetected) and it has left a nice 24" round imprint of the grate on his pool floor in the form of an iron/rust stain.

I suggested some vitamin C to see what affect it would have. He reported that, held onto the stain for more than 3 minutes, the Vitamin C had no affect whatsover....Nada.

I am at a loss as to what to suggest next.....any ideas?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: immovable iron stain

What is the pool surface?

Is he using one Vit C tablet or some crushed? If he is using the (more expensive?) Vit C tab with the slick outer coating, it may take longer to dissolve/have an effect.

I read about the slick outer coating in one of geekgranny=alice's posts and it does make sense.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I'm sorry, it's a vinyl pool.

Steve told me he crushed up half a bottle of tabs and the whole bottle was only $3.00.........sounds like the cheap ones but I'll confirm about the coating.

What surprised me most was he said it had NO visible effect. I have used tabs to remove rusty nails stains and it was about 85-90-% effective so I fully expected these to make SOME difference. I am stumped.
    Dave S.

4. Back To Top    #4

Dave, I dropped a fender washer off my dive stand in the pool last fall, and didn't notice it for a couple of weeks. Left a big stain. I took a 2" PVC coupling and placed it over the stain and dropped the Vitamin C tabs into the coupling. Gone the next day. For a larger stain, the coupling could be moved as the stain faded.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    What is the pool surface?

Is he using one Vit C tablet or some crushed? If he is using the (more expensive?) Vit C tab with the slick outer coating, it may take longer to dissolve/have an effect.

I read about the slick outer coating in one of geekgranny=alice's posts and it does make sense.
    I just looked in cabinet. The C tabs I'm talking about are "Ester C" "non-acidic stomach friendly" "coated tablets".

No wonder they didn't do anything to the stain being "non-acidic stomach friendly".

Our Vet wanted us to give these to the puppies. DH studies up on them and decided we needed to be taking Ester C too.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

6. Back To Top    #6

You know it's a metal stain. That's a given. That being said, I would still try the vitamin C thing. I would either use industrial grade AA or I would find the cheapest most non-coated, hardest on the stomach, Vitamin C tabs that I could find, crush them up, and reapply.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Yeah, I think to retry with a stronger, longer concentration may be worth it.
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

A BBQ grill grate might have also have a fair bit of grease and ash on it, which could also be involved in the mark. I would try a magic eraser to see if it has any effect.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Steve says the grate was used for a different purpose than grilling so no grease on it. He is thinking about more vitamin C in a sock but this time using a weight to hold it on the stain for perhaps overnight. I have no knowledge that that will be harmful.....any opinions?
    Dave S.

10. Back To Top    #10

DLO just did something similar; here's their thread (with good pictures):
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/orang...nd-t22929.html
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

MITS,

That's a great thread and totally applicable. I have forwarded it to my friend.

He and I have played volleyball for years. He knew I was somehow involved with pools so he asked me how to get this stain out of his pool and I said, "Try Vitamin C tablets". Here was his look........

It was identical to the reaction I get when they ask at the grocery store what all the bleach is for??
    Dave S.