Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Timers for a 24 volt operated solenoid operated valve

1. Back To Top    #1

Timers for a 24 volt operated solenoid operated valve

I am looking for a dedicated timer to operate a 24 volt AC solenoid operated valve to add liquid chlorine to my swimming pool. The timer must have a minimum increment of 1 min and a maximum increment of up to 60 min. and the potential to activate the valve up to 4 times per day on all days during the week or on alternating days during the week. Is there anyone out there that knows of such a timer, I would appreciate your advice.
    15-foot above ground pool, Hayward Turbo-Flow pump with sand filter, use liquid chlorine, Metchlor Caddy pool chlorinator; Metchlor Caddy also used for automatically adding muriatic acid; winterize with light and water resistant cover.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Timers for a 24 volt operated solenoid operated valve

Check the timers for sprinkler systems (Rain-Bird, Orbit, etc.). They use 24v solenoid valves to control water flow, and all but the cheapest models can do what you need. Should be well less than $100.

I've never heard of using one to dispense liquid chlorine though. Can you post what you're planning on doing? I assume you're planning on using a sprinkler valve? Not sure how those would hold up to liquid chlorine...probably not all that well.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden