Too Much Vacuum Suction

qbot

Jun 8, 2010
Central WA
I've searched the forum and couldn't find any answers...

I have a standard vacuum head attached to my hose and telescoping pole. Recently, when I've vacuumed, I get too much suction and cannot move the head. I either have to break the seal at the skimmer or wrench the pole sideways to break the seal. I'm trying to entice my wife and son into vacuuming duty but they see me struggle and run for zee hills.

In the past, it would stick in certain parts of the pool--the transition between shallow and deep end, for instance--but now it will stick just about everywhere, even relatively smooth areas. What gives? The vacuum head is relatively old, could it be too pliable?

Help.

I can't. One of the screws holding my diverter valve in place broke off in the skimmer. Rather than try to drill it out and risk a bigger calamity (cracked skimmer), I was told not to bother and just remove the valve altogether. As a result, I haven't been able to regulate the flows from the main drain versus the skimmer.

That would explain why the suction is so much more powerful this year as opposed to last year, but I'm stuck with my current set up (unless you think the diverter valve is a necessity).

I'd check your vac head. Do all the wheels turn freely? If you put it on a flat surface (like a table), does it roll freely? You should have a clearance between the plastic and the table--enough that you can see light out the other side. Sometimes the wheels/axles break. They may or may not be adjustable. Are there any splits in the plastic that would cause the vacuum hole to get sucked right to the pool floor?

It may just be time for a new vac head. There are better ones out there than the one pictured, which looks like the freebie that came with my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.