Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too Much Vacuum Suction

1. Back To Top    #1

Too Much Vacuum Suction

I've searched the forum and couldn't find any answers...

I have a standard vacuum head attached to my hose and telescoping pole. Recently, when I've vacuumed, I get too much suction and cannot move the head. I either have to break the seal at the skimmer or wrench the pole sideways to break the seal. I'm trying to entice my wife and son into vacuuming duty but they see me struggle and run for zee hills.

In the past, it would stick in certain parts of the pool--the transition between shallow and deep end, for instance--but now it will stick just about everywhere, even relatively smooth areas. What gives? The vacuum head is relatively old, could it be too pliable?

Help.
    ~23,000 gal In-Ground Gunite Pool
    Pentair Whisperflo .5 HP Pump
    Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge (4) Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too Much Vacuum Suction

Are the bristles pretty much gone? If so you may want to think about replacing it. I am sure someone can come along with something better though.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

No bristles on the vacuum. It looks almost identical to this...
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Back To Top    #4

Try opening the main drain some to lesson the amount of suction at the skimmer where the vacuum is hooked up.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I can't. One of the screws holding my diverter valve in place broke off in the skimmer. Rather than try to drill it out and risk a bigger calamity (cracked skimmer), I was told not to bother and just remove the valve altogether. As a result, I haven't been able to regulate the flows from the main drain versus the skimmer.

That would explain why the suction is so much more powerful this year as opposed to last year, but I'm stuck with my current set up (unless you think the diverter valve is a necessity).

6. Back To Top    #6

What you can do is buy a vacuum regulator. One came with my above ground automatic vacuum. It a Zoom but all that type I think have them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd check your vac head. Do all the wheels turn freely? If you put it on a flat surface (like a table), does it roll freely? You should have a clearance between the plastic and the table--enough that you can see light out the other side. Sometimes the wheels/axles break. They may or may not be adjustable. Are there any splits in the plastic that would cause the vacuum hole to get sucked right to the pool floor?

It may just be time for a new vac head. There are better ones out there than the one pictured, which looks like the freebie that came with my pool.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have the same one that is pictured and works great for me. Could be just time for a new one. They are cheap so you could get a new one and if it does not work take it back.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

A vacuum regulator came with my vac cleaner too. I'll find the part. I think the one for mine is automatic.

EDITIt is a "Bypass valve". Comes with The Pool Cleaner, suction cleaners. It's part #15 on down the page in "additional parts"

http://www.thepoolcleaner.com/PoolCleanerParts.html

Here's a product I just found. Maybe this would do the job. It's called a Vac-Mate.

http://www.aqua-man.com/row_num.asp?Ic=6338

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine