Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I am on day 2 of my baq-chlorine conversion

1. Back To Top    #1

I am on day 2 of my baq-chlorine conversion

i am on day 2 of my baq-chlorine conversion. I have been adding 5 qts. of bleach every 1.5 hours and my water is still a very murky green color. My baquacil levels were at 0 once started. You cant even see the bottom. should i be worried?? I have been running the filter and I've added the chlorine floc. What should I do next?? By the way, I know that you all like to see pics. but unfortuanately, i have lost my cord to my camera. sorry
    18'x24' (10,000 gal) above ground pool, 19" Proline sand filter (45 GPM), Jacuzzi 1.5 HP 2 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: I am on day 2 of my baq-chlorine conversion

Welcome to TFP!

Have you read our baquacil conversion instructions?

Do you have any kind of test kit that can measure PH or chlorine levels?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Southern Indiana

Most definitely welcome!!

Jason said it all about reading the conversion instructions. I printed them out and taped them into my pool notebook. Read and reread them and be reading the pool school also. It is very well laid out and it info you'll need when the conversion is done.

Even at low baq levels it can take a bit to get things clear. Running the filter and backwashing when it's needed and adding the required amount of bleach are your best bets.

Definitely look into getting a good test kit if you don't have one. If you've read much at all about testing on TFP, then you'll know everyone loves the Trouble Free Test Kits. They are worth the money and Dave really stands behind the product. You won't find better customer service anywhere.

More than likely everything is right on course. Not sure, but the floc might be a waste right now. I'm talking in generalities because I'm a new convert myself and learning a lot as I go. There are lots of good people who know way more than I do that will keep you on course.

Hope you have sparkling water soon!!
    24' AG Vinyl
    13,500 gallons
    1hp Hayward pump
    Sand filter
    Jug dumper apprentice

4. Back To Top    #4
    NE North Carolina

No worries. Even if baq levels were 0 by the pool store test, you still have some level of baq in your pool.

Just to reinforce what the others have said need to get a test kit. It will be very hard to manage the conversion and your pool afterward without one. Most people here recommend the TF-100XL for doing a conversion. You also need to read the conversion article at pool school. Very informative and it walks you through the entire process.
    13,000 gal AGP, Hayward X-Stream 100 sq ft cartridge, 1 HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump, all on two 6-hour on cycles per day. Baquacil to BBB convert.
    "It is necessary for us to learn from others' mistakes. You will not live long enough to make them all yourself." - Hyman G. Rickover

5. Back To Top    #5

My pool looked pretty green too. I've posted some photos on my thread..

I'm almost done, probably a couple more days..
    POOL SPECS - 18' round AG pool Doughboy pool with 5'8" deep-end, Aqua Trol Salt Water Generator, 1HP Doughboy pump, Doughboy sand filter, Solar Dome cover and a 40'x4' solar heater. Located in Oregon with swimming season from end of May through September. I pull the pump & SWG during winter months. Solar Dome minimizes FC loss & keeps heat in & debris out. Btw - Solar Dome lasted about 6 years before plastic started shredding.