1st time PO, testing huh!?!

Quinsee

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2010
Southern Indiana
Hello TFP! I've been lurking a while and am now ready to wow you all with my awesome! :blah:

Well, as soon as I figure out how to awesome. I just got my first pool relined and filled. I'm going to set the skimmer and return tonight, get the pump running then start working on chems. I have received my TF-100 kit and have tried to familiarize myself with the testing procedures. Is there a post that spells out how to do each test for the following-instructions-challenged? Or does it just come from experience/trial-n-error? :hammer:

I'll post a couple of pics to whet your appetites. Oh, and my neighbor, a happy 6yr Baquacil user, is already giving me grief for choosing chlorine. Help me prove him wrong! To his credit, he's amazing at working on pools. He's the guy that's not bald (hint: I have a bandana on). :wink:

I have so many questions, but all the answers really hinge on me being able to test reliably. Basically, and correct me if I'm wrong, I need to figure out my CYA so I can figure out my FC shock value. Then I need to keep it at shock level until I get a stable overnight reading on FC, correct?

I'll try to get a full set of tests posted in the next couple of days. I'll be busy tonight with the skimmer, pump, etc...

With that, enjoy the pictures.

Sludge
http://yfrog.com/jbpict0051uqj

Padding
http://yfrog.com/6bpict0090mj

Fill 'er up!
http://yfrog.com/5bpict0110dj

Full of WIN! :whoot:
http://yfrog.com/5epict0122quj

(edit) IMG tags not working as expected and spelling/grammar corrections (/edit)

Since you just refilled it, have you added any CYA yet?

Yes, basically you need to determine what your CYA is so that you know where your targets are for chlorination and for shocking purposes.

So your neighbor is a happy 6 year baq user huh? Well, he will be jealous of your pool. He will see how easy it is to keep a nice and clean pool and maybe change his mind about baq. Of course, when he has problems with his pool water, you will be the last to know about it. Ugh! Baquacil!

Welcome to TFP!

Thanks for the welcome.

I haven't added anything other than water so far. Is there a CYA I should shoot for before starting the shock regiment?

(edit): After trimming the tree back quite bit, I get direct sun from 12:00 until about 19:30. I have, and plan on using a solar cover unless persuasively advised not to. (/edit)

I would add enough CYA to get you to 30 ppm for starters. Just put the CYA powder in a sock and let it hang in front of a return to dissolve. Then you can bring it to an FC of 12 to shock.

You will probably need more CYA in there eventually. Wait a week before retesting the CYA since it takes a few days to fully dissolve.

I suggest printing out the ones that are hard to follow. I recall it actually made my head hurt at first! I never did print them out but I did take notes into a Pool Book of the parts that I needed to know.

At this point, I have the skimmer and return cut in. After hooking up my pump, I found that it squeals really loud. I dropped it off at an electrical supply house this morning for a rebuild.

So now, I have a full pull about 24hrs into being stagnant. I think chlorine is a good idea, Ike. I'll test CYA and FC when I get home this evening.

Oh, and I have little tree frogs sitting on the side singing in the evening. Think they'll survive the shock regiment? I've shown a couple of them a cool stick I found in the yard. :whip:

Thank you all for the advice and I now have time to read through and take notes on some of the other Pool School articles I've overlooked.

I apologize for asking questions that have already been answered. I've been so busy doing the leg work, I've sacrificed the head work. I'll try to keep from doing that too often.

The kids want to get in it now. After explaining chems a bit, my 10yr asks, "So it's like a big bath tub, right?". "Technically, yes, but you still can't get in." :-D

I don't think that the frogs will have a problem. Perhaps they sense that you have no pump and the are waiting for it to turn green. :mrgreen:

Stand firm. No swimming until you can circulate water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, I got the pump rebuilt and hooked up. I tested CYA and FC (I just used the Taylor daily as I was pretty sure chlorine was zero).
:eek: SURPRISE! :eek: Both were zero. I'm 99% sure I did the tests correctly. Maybe I'm not as following-instructions-challenged as I thought.

The Pool Calculator said to add 54oz (by weight) of stabilizer to bring CYA to 30. I put 27oz in a sock dangling in front of the return jet. That was all that was in the container I bought (BioGuard Maintain stabilizer 100). I'll get another container of it tomorrow. The directions on the bottle calls for 1lb/3000gal so, roughly, just over 4lbs to bring CYA to an initial 40. I'm not feeling math geek atm, but the numbers are close and I trust you guys.

Q: Should I hang a second sock (the stabilizer filled one of my socks) to get CYA building quickly, or wait for the first sock to dissolve? Keep in mind that the 4th of July is coming up and family has caught wind of my pool project.
Maybe I should restate that as, "Can I go ahead and put the remaining stabilizer in, or should I wait to keep from boosting CYA too high?"

Oh, a point of interest, the guy at the pool store looked at me cross-eyed when I mentioned I wanted dichlor to chlorinate and add CYA. He is under the impression that only trichlor adds CYA. I avoided the argument by buying straight stabilizer. I would have argued, but the dichlor he showed me had copper as one of the ingredients. It was labeled as 'Shock'. :shock:

The Pool Calculator said to put in 168oz of 6% bleach to bring my FC from 0 to 6 (per the Beginner's Guide so kindly linked by AnonaPersona). I did so, being sure to make my pour for each jug last a minute (I don't want to bleach out my nice shiny new liner). I put in just shy of 2 jugs. It was dark at this point so I skipped the wait-30-minutes test. I'm sure it'll all be gone by tomorrow evening, but I'll test anyway. :wink:

My pH tested in the 7.2-7.5 range. I think it was 7.5. My daughter thinks it's 7.2. Average would be 7.35. As a funny coincidence, that's the pH of frog poo.

I picked up some Algaecide (BioGuard Algae All 60) and added 3oz. The directions called for 4oz, but I'm not sure I trust BioGuard. Putting copper in dichlor, really!?!

I've recorded the initial tests and chem amounts added in a spreadsheet I've created. /mostly to self, "Got to get in a rhythm". I'll post the blank if anyone is interested in it.

I poke fun at myself, others and life in general but it's just to keep the mood light. I hope it comes through the way it's intended and no one takes offense at any of it.

With that, I'm tired and going to bed. -Q

anonapersona said:
Quinsee said:
I picked up some Algaecide (BioGuard Algae All 60) and added 3oz. The directions called for 4oz, but I'm not sure I trust BioGuard.

Who suggested this?
To me, specifically, no one, but algaecide is just a preventative measure, correct? I don't have algae, and I don't want any either. If it's going to be a week before I can figure out where my CYA is so I can shock at the appropriate level, I would like some protection against my pool becoming a pond again. The pool store I went to didn't carry Polyquat 60 specifically, but in another post I read that it is sold under different names, but that they usually have 60 in the name.
Definitions and Abbreviations said:
Polyquat
Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride

The only algaecide we recommend using. Often sold in a 60% concentration as Algaecide 60 or something similar. Other kinds of algaecide have various problems, adding metals, foaming, bad smells, etc, depending on what they contain. Algaecide is most effective at preventing algae from getting started, and doesn't do very well against an active algae bloom.

Isaac-1 said:
I would hold off on the stabilizer until you get a good reading on what you have now, remember it can take up to a week to show up..

Ike
I understand it can take a week to show up. I hadn't planned on testing, I was just going to finish off adding the other 27oz that Pool Calculator told me to add to get my CYA up to 30.

I put 27oz of stabilizer back in the sock and dunked it by the return. BTW, that's probably the cleanest sock I own now.

FC was 1
pH was 7.2
Water is clear with a light sparkle. The frogs are singing my praises as I type.

I left PH alone as my return is currently breaking the surface.

I added 98oz of 6% bleach to bring FC to 4.5. It was the closest measure to 1 jug. I was actually surprised that it was at 1 this evening. That leads me to believe I have some level of CYA as we had full sun today.

Should I take and post a complete set of tests at this point? Minus CYA, ofc.

Can I assume that the CYA will be around 30 when the 2nd sock is empty, or does it take a week for the stabilizer to fully activate? I'm currently under the impression that it's there, but takes a week to show up in the test. I've had the pump running since getting it installed yesterday evening. If I can assume, but just to be safe, I would like to shock at around 8-10 FC.

Anona, I hope my last post didn't come across as too defensive. I don't mean to be impatient, but I'm truly worried about getting in a battle with algae.

Thank you all for the advice. It's great having educated people to ask!

(edit) for clarity

Quinsee said:
Anona, I hope that last post didn't come across as too defensive. I don't mean to be impatient, but I'm truly worried about getting in a battle with algae.

Oh, no problem, I'll agree that is good thinking. It sounds like you are making progress. I believe the rule on CYA is that when it has dissolved you may assume that what you put in is there and effective even if it will not show on test. So you can assume that CYA is now equal to what was in the first sock, and shock accordingly, then when the second dose is dissolved, boost to the shock level for that measure.

I do hope you can get it all stable in time for the holiday weekend festivities.

I have a question, just for curiosity's sake. On systems with a waterfall, fountain, or spillover spa, does that constantly raise pH? Will aerating only raise pH to a certain level or is it a constant concern for those people with those features?

OK, I need muriatic acid.

FC 2.5
CC 0
pH 8.0
TA 387
CH 255
CYA ~30 (this is assumed, not tested)

I did the FAS/DPD this time for chlorine so I could get a CC reading. I added 210oz of 6% to get FC to 10. I'll consider this a safe shock until I can get another CYA reading on Tuesday. If you guys think I'll be safe to shock at 12, I'll adjust accordingly.

I did the TA test 3 times. 1st=410, 2nd=400, 3rd=350. Above is the average. The 3rd time I stopped as soon as it turned pink. The instructions said red so counted until red the first 2 times. Would someone please clarify on this?

I did the CH test twice. 1st=260, 2nd=250.

I haven't tested my tap water, but this definitely makes me wonder about it's alkalinity. Would the stabilizer have raised TA?

pH is an average of my daughter's (8.2) and my (7.8) readings. This is kind of baffling considering what I've tested the last couple of days. I've read the stabilizer lowers pH so I'll assume my initial pH was 7.5 and the stabilizer brought it down to 7.2 then the TA brought it back up to 8.0. I wasn't under the impression that TA would raise it that quickly. :?

(edit) I've turned my return down so it's not breaking the surface any more. That might explain my pH rise, or part of it, also, right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.