Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PUMP RUN TIME QUESTION????

1. Back To Top    #1

PUMP RUN TIME QUESTION????

Yes guys, I have another question....LOL! My pump is a 1.5 HP 70 GPM Hayward. How long do you think I need to run it per day! I am thinking about trying to add bleach in the evening...let it circulate a couple of hours and then shut it down until morning. Any suggestions? My water is balanced but remember I am maintaining a CYA of 80. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.
    30' Round Vinyl AG, 21,200 K GAL. with Main drain, Hayward 1.5 HP Pump, Sand filter, BBB Method & TF~100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PUMP RUN TIME QUESTION????

I run mine as long as it has sun on it during the day, which is a full 10 hours full exposure. Some folks say an hour for every 10 degrees water temp. Only thing I know for sure is that you can't run it "too much" for pool purposes when it's this hot. Just bumped mine up to 12 hours in Texas.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

They say at least one turn over of the pool. So figure how many gallons per hour your pump puts out and then divide the gallons in the pool. But more cannot hurt except for the power bill!
    18X38 Grecian 26000 gallon In Ground Vinyl. Goldline AuqaRite SWG with a 1.5 HP Pentair Pump. Triton 2 Sand Filter Two main drains with 4 main returns with 2 more returns on the swimout and two skimmers. Polaris 380

4. Back To Top    #4

You want to get at least a one turn over per day. Let say your plumbing allows for 50gals/min, that would put you somewhere in the 6-8hr pump run time range. You can start at 8 and then experiment with lower run time, but there is no one right answer. Depends on the pool, amount of sum, FC levels...etc.

If you are concerned on electricity costs, an alternate would be to get a more efficient pump, filter combo. That is too much pump for a 18" sand filter. 3/4 hp would do just fine and you want a 250-300lb sand filter for that size pool.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the quick response. I think I will try shutting her down at night. Sun doesn't hit my pool until 8 am and is off of it by about 8 PM.
    30' Round Vinyl AG, 21,200 K GAL. with Main drain, Hayward 1.5 HP Pump, Sand filter, BBB Method & TF~100 Test Kit