Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Very High Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Very High Chlorine

Hello again everyone! I posted a week or so ago about my high CYA of 100. I am still getting used to the BBB method and all seems to be going well, except one issue. I got my CYA down to 70 on Friday. I used the pool calculator to determine how much bleach I needed to bring my 0ppm FC up. There were numerous swimmers in the pool the day before so I also figured I would want to shock. The CYA chart indicated I would need 7, 182oz bottles of bleach. I poured only 4 in thinking 7 was way too high. On Saturday morning I checked my FC with the TFT-100 kit and added 61 drops. If I have done my math correctly that would be 30.5ppm. The level is maintaining and does not seem to be coming down. Tested again on Sunday and this time I added 60 drops, still at 30 ppm of FC. First I could not maintain a normal FC level and now it is way, way high. Any ideas from the experts?

Thanks so much!

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Very High Chlorine

How much water does your pool hold?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Very High Chlorine

John, thanks for replying. My pool is 17 1/2 x 33, about 18,000 gls. Vinyl, 4ft-6ft deep.