Just got back in town last night after two weeks gone. The pet sitter called on Saturday (two days ago) and said the pool had turned green. I told her not to worry about it, I would habdle it whne I got home on sunday (yesterday).
Got in later than I intended last night after swinging by wal-mart on the way home and picking up 12 of the large (182 oz) jugs of bleach. My CYA was 80 before I left, so I dumped 6 in last night without testing the water first (assumed FC was 0, CC 0). I wanted to get as much non-sunlight benefit from the chlorine as possible. Which according to the pool calculator I only needed 5 to reach my target shock level of 35, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to shock a little higher. Then I brushed the whole pool and turned the pump on highspeed. Also turned my polaris on (not sure if this does any good but figured it would atleats help with circulation).
This morning (way to early to be up after driving until 2 am) It was cloudy instead of green, so without bothering to test (I know, Bad Form) I dumped the 6 additional bottles of bleach in about 6 am, did a half-hearted really fast brushing, and went back to bed. Just tested at 11:00 am and the FC is reading 40, and the CC is reading .5. Would the CC from the algea really have disappeared that quickly?
Also, I have a cratridge filter and it's not really reading a build-up[ of pressure at all. I guess I just need to keep testing, and keep adding bleach as needed and running the pump 24/7 until the mess clears. Any additional advice/sugestions?
Also I know my PH is probably high, it tends to creep up on its own, and trwo weeks with no acid I know it's atleast 8.2-8.6. I know this won't test reliably with the FC at shock levels, but should i add some muratic acid anyways or wait until the algae is gone?