Do I need to increase my CYA and TA a tad?

hawkeyes

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2010
Dallas, TX
I have fought high pH (continue to do so and add at least 20 oz of acid every other day) and now am noticing my TA dropping below 70 for the first time. Do I need to now start thinking about adding baking soda to increase it (which will increase my pH, too, right?). It's right on the cusp so not sure when to start reacting. Same with the CYA...I'm right on the lower edge but my FC is on target for the current reading.

TC: 3.5
pH: 7.5
TA: 60
CYA: 60
CH: 410 (uggh...knew it was gonna start climbing due to quite a bit of water added recently from high temps and lots of bathers)
Salt: 3200
Temp: 87

All ok or do I need to be doing something about the CYA and TA?

frustratedpoolmom said:
CYA is fine, you can add more if it drops lower than that... if the PH continues to rise and the TA drops below 60 then yes, I'd use some baking soda to keep the TA at 70.

Yep...the pH will rise. It will be 7.8 tomorrow morning and I'll add acid to get it down to 7.5. Story of my life...I sleep, eat and breathe muriatic acid. ;) Since this is the case, is it just a matter of time until my TA drops? Adding baking soda will increase my pH too, right?

Regarding the fountain, I have turned the valve down VERY low in hopes to keep the aeration down.

Hi! The most important factors are Free Chlorine and CYA in PPM. If your SWG and filter are working properly and you have been maintaining a Free Chlorine level of 5% or more of CYA, there's less opportunity for an outbreak. E.g. If your CYA is 50 PPM, you'd want a minimum Free Chlorine level of 2.5 PPM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.