Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need to increase my CYA and TA a tad?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I need to increase my CYA and TA a tad?

I have fought high pH (continue to do so and add at least 20 oz of acid every other day) and now am noticing my TA dropping below 70 for the first time. Do I need to now start thinking about adding baking soda to increase it (which will increase my pH, too, right?). It's right on the cusp so not sure when to start reacting. Same with the CYA...I'm right on the lower edge but my FC is on target for the current reading.

TC: 3.5
    pH: 7.5
    TA: 60
    CYA: 60
    CH: 410 (uggh...knew it was gonna start climbing due to quite a bit of water added recently from high temps and lots of bathers)
    Salt: 3200
    Temp: 87

All ok or do I need to be doing something about the CYA and TA?
    22,000 gal IG Pool & Spa, Fountain and Spa Spillway, Penatair IC-40 SWCG, Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Cartridge, Antigua Blue Wet-Edge

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I need to increase my CYA and TA a tad?

CYA is fine, you can add more if it drops lower than that... if the PH continues to rise and the TA drops below 60 then yes, I'd use some baking soda to keep the TA at 70.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

If you are running your fountain that will also drive up PH along with the SWG.
    18X38 Grecian 26000 gallon In Ground Vinyl. Goldline AuqaRite SWG with a 1.5 HP Pentair Pump. Triton 2 Sand Filter Two main drains with 4 main returns with 2 more returns on the swimout and two skimmers. Polaris 380

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    CYA is fine, you can add more if it drops lower than that... if the PH continues to rise and the TA drops below 60 then yes, I'd use some baking soda to keep the TA at 70.

Yep...the pH will rise. It will be 7.8 tomorrow morning and I'll add acid to get it down to 7.5. Story of my life...I sleep, eat and breathe muriatic acid. Since this is the case, is it just a matter of time until my TA drops? Adding baking soda will increase my pH too, right?

Regarding the fountain, I have turned the valve down VERY low in hopes to keep the aeration down.
    22,000 gal IG Pool & Spa, Fountain and Spa Spillway, Penatair IC-40 SWCG, Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Cartridge, Antigua Blue Wet-Edge

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Adding baking soda will increase my pH too, right?
    Very little. Not enough to have a significant effect.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi! The most important factors are Free Chlorine and CYA in PPM. If your SWG and filter are working properly and you have been maintaining a Free Chlorine level of 5% or more of CYA, there's less opportunity for an outbreak. E.g. If your CYA is 50 PPM, you'd want a minimum Free Chlorine level of 2.5 PPM.
    30,000 Gallon IG pool, vinyl, Aqua-rite T-cell 15 SWG, 1 1/2 HP with Tagelus TA60D sand filter 60 gpm