Nazareth, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-55
In a previous post of mine I asked about solutions for cleaning my pool tile and got a few replies with such a great solution, I thought I'd post it separately so everyone finds out about it. The suggestion to help clean the suntan oils and "gunk" off of my pool tile was to simply use one of those Magic Erasers by Mr. Clean. I went to my local Wal-Mart and discovered that they sell a generic brand version of these "erasers" in a 4-pack. I used them to clean my tile yesterday and WOW what a great job it did. No need to buy all those fancy tile cleaning chemicals at the pool store!!! Be sure to stock up on these though, as they do dissolve during use - I used about 1.5 of them to finish my pool.

However, during the construction (pool is only been in operation for less than a month) it seems they did not do that great a job of cleaning up the grout, plaster and concrete - especially in the area of the boulder waterfall, and so I have some tiles that are still hazy due to all this extra covering of plaster, concrete and stuff. Even some of the grout lines are discolored. Some of this is due to the fact that the boulder waterfall guys broke a few tiles during that part of the construction and so the plaster crew did a last minute repair job on the tiles (not impressed with their repair). Can anyone recommend a method and/or product for removing that material and brightening up those tiles and grout? Is something like muriatic acid going to do the trick? I wasn't sure what you could safely use on an actively filled pool.

I love Magic Erasers! I got a sample in the mail right before they hit the store shelves and have been using them ever since. My daughters helped me put a fresh coat of Thompsons Water Seal (honey gold color) on our deck a couple of weeks ago. Some of it ended up being dripped on the pool steps and handrails, and of course no one discovered it until after it had completely dried. I was able to get it off with no problem with a magic eraser. Here's another tip.... they work great if the top rails and skimmer on your AGP become yellow from the sun! It takes a little elbow grease but you can make them look brand new again!

Bama Rambler said:
Muriatic acid is what's commonly used to clean grout lines and tiles of excess mortar.

Unfortunately, the area of tile and grout that I need to clean with muriatic acid is just below the boulder waterfall area and since I'm not a featured act in Cirque du Soleil and can't see myself hanging upside down over the boulders while attempting to reach the tiles, is it safe to use this acid while I'm standing inside the pool itself?

I realize muratic acid is used to help lower pH in pools, so I suppose just like liquid bleach - when diluted properly in your pool, it's not harmful to humans. But what about as I'm standing right there in the water while it's dripping into the pool as I clean the tiles? Is it safe to use in this manner and concentration?

Unless you're going to pour it in your pants you should be fine. :-D

Seriously, I'd have the pump running and aim a return in the general direction. You should dilute it to use it anyway and the little that runs into the pool will be so dilute by the time it mixes with the water you'll be fine.

I love the Magic Erasers also! My son was "coloring" with a permanent marker on notebook paper directly on top of my hardwood floor :shock: There was massive bleed through before I noticed what he was doing! I frantically searched online and found a post about using the Magic Erasers. I tried it, and it worked so well that there is not even a hint of that permanent marker left :-D

I had not thought of trying them on the water line of my pool. I am going straight to the store to get some now!!

Thanks for the advice!

They are great...a little tip...
I cut them into thirds or halves because for some reason they break down really quickly when they get in contact with chlorine. Plus the halves fit nicely in one's hand and less waste.

I tried the Magic Eraser on my coping and was disappointed with the job it did. I have painted aluminum coping so not sure if that makes a difference or not. Anyone find a good cleaner for coping? I tried some vinyl pool/tile cleaner made by Baquacil that worked great so maybe I'll buy that again.

Bama Rambler is right. My dad was a tile setter, and he used Muriatic acid to fix grout issues in homes as well (and pools).

I'd wear gloves, but other then that, you'll be fine in the pool. It won't burn when it hits your skin (unless you have a sore, then weeee!). Also, I would bet that you won't get that much acid on you, and if so, it can be easily rinsed if it causes discomfort, cuz you are IN a pool. If it starts to burn (mildly) rinse it. It won't melt your skin, or clothes... unless you try.

-Edd

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.