Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wait to do Borates?

1. Back To Top    #1

Wait to do Borates?

I am interested in this, or anything else that would help prevent algae in the first place: so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html

But since I have algae right now, I should forget about this until I get rid of algae?
    Inground oval approx 17.5' x 35' (with middle of deep end 9'?) so guessing 27000 gallons. Vinyl liner, BBB chlorine. Dolphin. Portable fullsize spa not currently in use.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wait to do Borates?

Yes. Fix your algae first and then you can look into the extras.

3. Back To Top    #3

The absolute best thing to help prevent algae is to keep your FC above minimum for your CYA at all times. Even adding borates won't help if you don't properly maintain your pool.

Having said that, I agree with 257, Get rid of your algae and then add borates if you decide to.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah... I think I didn't keep my FC at shock level for long enough. And the bleach was probably not stored well enough, not poured slowly enough and not circulated enough once or twice...
    Inground oval approx 17.5' x 35' (with middle of deep end 9'?) so guessing 27000 gallons. Vinyl liner, BBB chlorine. Dolphin. Portable fullsize spa not currently in use.