First testing of an AGP with new liner/refilled

Mar 7, 2010
Wake Forest, NC
We replaced our 17K AGP with a new liner this spring and finally have it filled with well water. It's been about 4-5 years since I have been on the Pool Forum due to not using the pool for the last couple of years. I received my TF100 test kit recently. I've been back reading the forum regularly in hopes of re-educating myself in of maintaining the pool once again. I had Ben's test kit a few years back and this forum was a wealth of help for me. Since I've been away for a length of time, I'm a bit overwhelmed again on the info that I need to learn and am working towards that goal. I would appreciate some comments/advice in re of my numbers below in hopes that I can begin the process of getting the water balanced soon. Just a little jump start of advice would be greatly appreciated.

In the pool calculater, I cannot get numbers for 20Muleteam borax, but only muraitic acid.

Below are my numbers:

ph 6.8
FC 0
CC 0
TC 0
T/A 90
CYA 0

I added some (2lbs) stabilizer this morning to begin the process and will add more as I test.

Thank you for advice.

Patty in NC

Welcome back Patty.

I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to get numbers for borax? Do the numbers not show up in the calculator? Anyway I get that you need to add 2 boxes to bring the pH up to about 7.4.

You also need to add (1) 96oz jug of bleach and 6lbs of stabilizer.

What did you add 2lbs of?

Patty, I'm pasteing your PM to me here so other people can benefit from the info. I hope you don't mind.

Patty57 said:
Good Morning Bama Rambler,

>I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to get numbers for borax?

The box remains at zero when I hit *calculate*. [this line: ___of 15.7% - 10° Baumé 28.3% - 18° Baumé 31.45% - 20° Baumé 34.6% - 22° Baumé 14.5% 29% muriatic acid] is all that calculates for me. Nothing changes in the *Borax* boxes. it remains at zero.
I also can't see a *clear numbers* button on the pool calculater.

>Do the numbers not show up in the calculator? Anyway I get that you need to add 2 boxes to bring the pH up to about 7.4.

This is on the left pinkish column?

>You also need to add (1) 96oz jug of bleach and 6lbs of stabilizer.

Sure wish I could make this work for these numbers.

>What did you add 2lbs of?

I edited my message.

I just feel like putting some borax, liquid chlorine and stabilizer in the pool and see what happens. It's just difficult to read all this info and still not get the calculater to work for me.

Thank you for responding.

Patty
Hey Patty,

You'll get the hang of it again.

Every cell on the pool calc has to have a number in it for the calc to work correctly even if it's a zero.

The first thing to do is put the pool volume in the first cell at the top left.
Then go down the left hand column of cells (Now) and enter your current test results.
Then go down the right hand column of cells (Target) and enter what you'd like the numbers to be even if it's zero.
Then go to the "suggested goal levels" at the bottom of the calc and set up your pool. Yours should be set for suggested goal levels from TroubleFreePool.com, using Bleach as the source of chlorine and a vinyl liner. Then go back to the top and hit calculate and see if it gives you numbers now.

Yes, Bama, those directions for the calculator provided me some numbers. A good start. This is what I needed/your advice, to get started again with our pool. I thank you greatly and will check some numbers by testing over the next few days and report back.

Patty

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.