Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Cover usage?

1. Back To Top    #1

Southern Indiana

Solar Cover usage?

Our weather has been very warm lately, so after the pool got comfortable we put away the solar cover, now the weather is going to be in the mid 80's and 60's at night. So do you think I need to drag it back out? Will it cool down that much? I hate a cold pool I'm an 84 to 90 type swimmer. I plan on watching the temp but I was just wondering how others handle temperature changes and just how fast it will drop. Thanks for any input.
    24' AG pool 14,435 gallons
    Waterway 1.5 HP pump
    19" Ecokleer sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Solar Cover usage?

The pool temp won't drop really fast so if the cool temps are only going to last a day or two I wouldn't go to the trouble, but if it's going to last several days it might be worth it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Waaay NW MN

Re: Solar Cover usage?

If there is wind or cloudy days the water will cool faster. If you want to retain your current water temps and don't have solar panels then you will lose heat if the averages are less than the current. I have had my pool drop from 80 to 64 in 36 hrs with a solar cover on. Obviously you won't have such a precipitous drop if daytime temps stay in the 80s but a cold front and wind can really drop temps. I'm just sayin....
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!