Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Possible hurricane on its way

1. Back To Top    #1

Possible hurricane on its way

Ok. I am a bit in panic mode here. We have a possible hurricane coming through in 2 or so days.
    I would love any advice on what to expect from a 15' intex frame pool during the storm. Mine is not completely
    level. It is about 1 1/2 off, but it was the best I could get. I am worried the frame will sink on the low side,and if
    the pool itself will stand through the possible high winds.
    Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    15' Intex frame set
    4600 Gallon
    2650gph Intex Sand Filter
    NightLighter 35W
    Red Neck fountain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Possible hurricane on its way

The only thing really do is either drain it and take it down or simply make sure it's full of water. A pool full of water will stand a lot of wind and rain. It sounds like you don't have a drainage issue so you should be good there.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I believe the structure itself full of water will sustain the winds. What you should be concerned about is other structures on your property that could cause damamge or catch the wind and blow debris into or at your pool. Any lawn charis or umbrellas should be brought indoors. I survived Hurricaine Katrina in 2005. I am a property insurance agent and most of my pool damage claims were directly related to debris and tree's falling onto pools.
    18x33 Delair Sunsation GS AGP Oval 4 shallow-6 deep mostly buried

4. Back To Top    #4

Be sure you know where the water will go if it overflows or got hit by a tree and damaged. During Ike I was concerned about water getting out of the back yard under the gate so I set the mower to the lowest setting and scalped the lawn to make a low path for the water under the gate and onto the driveway.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, the pool made it through undamaged. Only problem now is about a million flying bugs on the bottom of the from yest. morning. Going to vaccume them out this evening weather permitting.
    Should I shock it right away, or just normal maint? Wondering does dead bugs + rain water = crappy water QUICK?
    Thanks.
    15' Intex frame set
    4600 Gallon
    NightLighter 35W
    Red Neck fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

Personally, I would test the water first. Your right, shock may be needed. Howie
    Intex 15' Round 48" Deep Metal Frame
    2000GPH with Intex SWG, Model 56611E (Lovin it!!)
    Intex Magnetic LED Underwater Light

7. Back To Top    #7

Update. Cleaned out most of the bugs over 2 days. Was in with a mask and hose getting all the snot off the bottom yesterday. I did a mild shock after the initial crud removal and all is well as of now.
    15' Intex frame set
    4600 Gallon
    NightLighter 35W
    Red Neck fountain