If I shock my pool to a FC level of 24, can we swim in it?

Thanks. I was using the suggested shock level of 24 for my CYA of 60. What do you mean when you say, ".....unless you've finished shocking it's not safe to swim at any level" I'm assuming you mean while there's algae in the pool it's not safe to swim.

Bama Rambler said:
You assumed correctly. I wouldn't swim until you pass the overnight loss test. Then it's safe to swim with the FC still at shock level.

I'm not sure what you mean here? Why is it not safe to swim in a pool with a algea? Presumably any pathogen is dead since it takes much less chlorine to kill pathogens (most anyway) than algea. Otherwise it's not safe to swim in a lake. Am I missing something?

In a situation where you are still losing FC overnight, there must be something organic in the water that is still being broken down. Not always, but most of the time, that means there is a place somewhere in the pool where there is zero chlorine and algae still alive. Where ever that is, bacteria and viruses can be alive there as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.