Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: If I shock my pool to a FC level of 24, can we swim in it?

1. Back To Top    #1

If I shock my pool to a FC level of 24, can we swim in it?

If I shock my pool and bring the FC level to 24, is it safe to swim in? Thanks.
    20,000 gal., Jacuzzi 250L Laser Sand Filter, inground w/vinyl liner, 1hp pump motor, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: If I shock my pool to a FC level of 24, can we swim in it?

It is not recommended to swim with a FC at or above shock level.

3. Back To Top    #3

It's safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA. However unless you're finished shocking it's not safe to swim at any level.

Since we don't know what your CYA level is we can't say if 24 is safe to swim.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I was using the suggested shock level of 24 for my CYA of 60. What do you mean when you say, ".....unless you've finished shocking it's not safe to swim at any level" I'm assuming you mean while there's algae in the pool it's not safe to swim.
    20,000 gal., Jacuzzi 250L Laser Sand Filter, inground w/vinyl liner, 1hp pump motor, TF-100 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

You assumed correctly. I wouldn't swim until you pass the overnight loss test. Then it's safe to swim with the FC still at shock level.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

OK, thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    You assumed correctly. I wouldn't swim until you pass the overnight loss test. Then it's safe to swim with the FC still at shock level.
    I'm not sure what you mean here? Why is it not safe to swim in a pool with a algea? Presumably any pathogen is dead since it takes much less chlorine to kill pathogens (most anyway) than algea. Otherwise it's not safe to swim in a lake. Am I missing something?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

In a situation where you are still losing FC overnight, there must be something organic in the water that is still being broken down. Not always, but most of the time, that means there is a place somewhere in the pool where there is zero chlorine and algae still alive. Where ever that is, bacteria and viruses can be alive there as well.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School