Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too much salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Too much salt

Apparently I've got a dilemma...
    I read on this db that salt content should be somewhere around 3000-3200 ppm. Well, after reading that I ordered some salt test strips. I just tested and it reads 5310. That is obviously high. What should I do?
    Intex 20'x10'x52" 5,835 gallon above ground; vinyl; Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump; Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model CS8110.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too much salt

It depends on wht your manual states on the idea salt level, they do vary some. The only way to lower the salt level is water replacement.
    18X38 Grecian 26000 gallon In Ground Vinyl. Goldline AuqaRite SWG with a 1.5 HP Pentair Pump. Triton 2 Sand Filter Two main drains with 4 main returns with 2 more returns on the swimout and two skimmers. Polaris 380

3. Back To Top    #3

My manual says ideal salt level 3000 ppm. So what do I do? I have to drain some water? I'm assuming I do so any idea how much?

One last question, I know too much salt can be harmful to the pool, equipment, etc., but I have not harmed my child in any way by having too much salt in the water have I?
    Intex 20'x10'x52" 5,835 gallon above ground; vinyl; Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump; Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model CS8110.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Don't panic, have you ever let your child swim in the sea? that is around 35000ppm so no worries on that. Different manufactures have different specs but you need to follow them or any warrantee maybe invalidated, that level isn't that high but can affect performance of the power supply as the water will be more conductive. Your call

5. Back To Top    #5

You can use the Pool Calculator to tell you how much water to drain.

To go from 5300 to 3000ppm in a 5800gal pool you would need to drain 43% of your water. Figuring a water level of 46" that would be 19" of water you need to drain.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit