Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to test after initial fill

1. Back To Top    #1

When to test after initial fill

I finished filling the pool and spa on Saturday. I couldn't resist the urge to break out my TF-100 and do a test on the fill water. The pb is coming tomorrow to do the initial chemical startup. My question is how long should I wait to retest after he puts in the chemicals? Here are my test results below** The TA seems way off base so I don't really trust that.

FC 1.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.8
    TA 340
    CH 140
    CYA 0
    13,200 gal. ig w/6' octagon spa , Aquapure SWG with Aqualink controls , Jandy EE 2000T heat pump ,Jandy DE48 filter , Jandy 1.5 plus pump ,Polaris 1hp qt blower (spa), Jandy LED lights, Pebblesheen finish (aqua blue) My build http://www.troublefreepool.com/time-...ge-t20601.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When to test after initial fill

Don't get too antsy and change anything. To protect your warranty do what the PB tells you to do for the period required. Once that period is up you can adjust your levels correctly.

Did you wipe the tip of the R-0009 with a wet cloth or towel after each drop?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Don't get too antsy and change anything. To protect your warranty do what the PB tells you to do for the period required. Once that period is up you can adjust your levels correctly.

Did you wipe the tip of the R-0009 with a wet cloth or towel after each drop?
    I don't think I did . Why would that affect any thing?(just curious)
    13,200 gal. ig w/6' octagon spa , Aquapure SWG with Aqualink controls , Jandy EE 2000T heat pump ,Jandy DE48 filter , Jandy 1.5 plus pump ,Polaris 1hp qt blower (spa), Jandy LED lights, Pebblesheen finish (aqua blue) My build http://www.troublefreepool.com/time-...ge-t20601.html

4. Back To Top    #4

There have been reports of static affecting the droplet size of the R-0009 and causing the reported TA to be much higher than it really is.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Personally, I'd rather add my own chemicals, but if the builder is paying for them tha'ts good. Ask him for a detailed list of what chemicals (and how much) he added to the pool. That information may be helpful later and you should keep a log anyway.
    33' above ground pool, 52" deep, about 27500 g
    sand filter w/zeobrite

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    There have been reports of static affecting the droplet size of the R-0009 and causing the reported TA to be much higher than it really is.
    Retested the TA . Got 150. Still a little high but much better!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda
    Personally, I'd rather add my own chemicals, but if the builder is paying for them tha'ts good. Ask him for a detailed list of what chemicals (and how much) he added to the pool. That information may be helpful later and you should keep a log anyway.
    That was my thought too. The way I look at it is that I paid for it anyway . I already started a log with the fill.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok , Im on my own with the chemicals now!! Here are my test results.

FC - 0
    CC - 0
    TC - 0
    PH - 8.2
    TA - 70
    CH - 190
    CYA - 60

Per the Pool Calculator I need to add the following :
    bleach - 75oz
    muriatic acid - 22oz
    calcium chloride - 85oz
    stabilizer - 17oz

Here are my questions. Is there a specfic order that is perfered. How long should I wait in between adding chemicals?

9. Back To Top    #9

PH first, always. Wait about 30 minutes for the acid to circulate and then add your bleach. Keep the pump running for a few hours to make sure it circulates well.

I don't think you should adjust the CH for at least 30 days or more. It may change on its own as the finish cures.

CYA of 60 is fine for now, I'd hold off on adding more at this time. you can always bump it later if you like...it's at the low end of the recommended range but certainly ok.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com