Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: order of chemicals added?

1. Back To Top    #1

order of chemicals added?

I know I posted in the correct area a little while ago, but after seeing it on this DB I'm apprehensive about posting again. Please excuse me if I caused any confusion.

I am in the process of adding some chemicals according to the pool calculator and was wondering if I had to add the chemicals in any certain order. I already added the liquid chlorine before I considered this, so please know that is already added and I will keep in mind what you tell me for future.

6/23
    FC 6
    CC 1 added 24 oz liquid bleach
    TC 7
    pH 7.8
    TA 200

6/24
    FC 8.5
    CC .5
    TC 9
    pH 7.8

6/26
    FC 5
    CC 0
    TC 5
    pH 7.8
    TA 190

For today's numbers pool calculator says 36 oz liquid bleach and 26 oz muriatic acid. As I said I already added the bleach. How long before I add the acid?

My own observation - please correct me if I'm wrong - I need to bump my SWG up at least one hour if my FC is being used up right? We have hit 105 degrees over the last several days in the afternoon which I am assuming is an aspect of this loss.

Thank you.
    Intex 20'x10'x52" 5,835 gallon above ground; vinyl; Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump; Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model CS8110.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: order of chemicals added?

Wait 30 min to a hour before adding acid. Any idea what your cya is?
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

3. Back To Top    #3

Every time I tested since 5/19 it was 80 until 6/23 then it showed 90. I thought maybe I just tested poorly and I would test again but I haven't yet. It wouldn't go up without adding stabilizer right, so it couldn't be 90. Just for clarity - you keep dropping until you absolutely can't see that black dot right? Sometimes if I wait a second or two the black dot will still be barely visible so I keep dropping until I can no longer see it at all.
    Intex 20'x10'x52" 5,835 gallon above ground; vinyl; Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump; Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model CS8110.

4. Back To Top    #4

Maybe this will help understand the cya test.

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Ch...P?ContentID=44
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you. The visual was great to see.

I do have a question now though. The article says ideal range for CYA is 30-50, but I gathered from this db that most prefer to keep it at 80. Am I correct? This has been my goal.

Thank you again.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have a SWG, we recommend CYA be between 70 and 80. If you don't have a SWG, then the recommended range is between 30 and 50. You do have a SWG, so 70 to 80 is appropriate.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you.