Vacation Prep

jagfan

Apr 8, 2009
Orange Park, FL
This week, I'm going on vacation for 9 days. Right now my pool is perfect, balanced and sparkling. It has been that way all summer (knock on wood)! The pump, filter and SWG are on a timer and come on automatically so the water will be circulating and chlorine will be generated. While away, however, the pool will not be brushed. I'm in Florida and it is hot and rains each day. Prior to departing, should I add polyquat 60 as a precautionary measure? If yes, does polyquat consume chlorine? Are there other recommendations to adequately prepare the pool?

I'm thrilled. Returned after being gone 9 days and my pool was still sparkling. I didn't have a chance to put the solar cover on before departing but I did bump up the SWG output %age about 5 points. The neighbor said we had a lot of rain and the water line was almost to the top of the skimmer. But no cloudiness or algae. I took my reading early morning on the 10th day:

FC = 9
CC = 0
PH = 5
TA = 80

I believe I've found the source and overcome the algae problems I had prior to this year. The culprits were the underside of the steps on the ladder in the deep end. Although I couldn't see it, the area was harboring green algae. Once I realized this and scrubbed it all off, I haven't had a problem. I'm not able to remove the ladder from the pool anymore (it is stuck in very tight), so I use a toilet scrub brush and brush them every day while I'm in the pool. Don't know what I'm going to do after swimming season because I can't reach the underside of the steps from outside the pool.

You can try getting a pump up garden sprayer and mix a 50-50 water and bleach solution and spray it under the steps once a week or you could pour straight bleach around the ladder and use a brush or leaf rake to stir it around the steps until the water drops below 60 degrees.

jagfan said:
I believe I've found the source and overcome the algae problems I had prior to this year. The culprits were the underside of the steps on the ladder in the deep end. Although I couldn't see it, the area was harboring green algae. Once I realized this and scrubbed it all off, I haven't had a problem. I'm not able to remove the ladder from the pool anymore (it is stuck in very tight), so I use a toilet scrub brush and brush them every day while I'm in the pool. Don't know what I'm going to do after swimming season because I can't reach the underside of the steps from outside the pool.
Time to get inventive!

Browse the housewares departments at a few stores. See if someone doesn't have a ceiling fan duster that might work, upside down. Check what's available for cleaning out raingutters. Or just look for a suitable brush, something you can bend in a U, then saw the handle off a worn-out pool brush and epoxy things together. Voila! You have a shepherd's crook ladder brush attachment!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.