Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacation Prep

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacation Prep

This week, I'm going on vacation for 9 days. Right now my pool is perfect, balanced and sparkling. It has been that way all summer (knock on wood)! The pump, filter and SWG are on a timer and come on automatically so the water will be circulating and chlorine will be generated. While away, however, the pool will not be brushed. I'm in Florida and it is hot and rains each day. Prior to departing, should I add polyquat 60 as a precautionary measure? If yes, does polyquat consume chlorine? Are there other recommendations to adequately prepare the pool?
    15x30 IG vinyl liner pool, pool cage
    Hayward S-220T high rate sand filter and Hayward super pump w/1hp motor
    Hayward SwimPure Plus SWG
    Polaris 380 cleaner and booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacation Prep

If you have a solar cover, you should put it on the pool.

I wouldn't bother with polyquat. It might help, but probably not. Polyquat does consume some chlorine, but not a dramatic amount.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I'll forget about the polyquat. I do have a solar cover. Didn't even think about using it because my pool is screened in. What is the advantage to using the cover - retain FC?

4. Back To Top    #4

A solar cover will reduce the amount of chlorine lost to sunlight. Some are better at this than others, but any cover will help.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm thrilled. Returned after being gone 9 days and my pool was still sparkling. I didn't have a chance to put the solar cover on before departing but I did bump up the SWG output %age about 5 points. The neighbor said we had a lot of rain and the water line was almost to the top of the skimmer. But no cloudiness or algae. I took my reading early morning on the 10th day:

FC = 9
    CC = 0
    PH = 5
    TA = 80

I believe I've found the source and overcome the algae problems I had prior to this year. The culprits were the underside of the steps on the ladder in the deep end. Although I couldn't see it, the area was harboring green algae. Once I realized this and scrubbed it all off, I haven't had a problem. I'm not able to remove the ladder from the pool anymore (it is stuck in very tight), so I use a toilet scrub brush and brush them every day while I'm in the pool. Don't know what I'm going to do after swimming season because I can't reach the underside of the steps from outside the pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

You can try getting a pump up garden sprayer and mix a 50-50 water and bleach solution and spray it under the steps once a week or you could pour straight bleach around the ladder and use a brush or leaf rake to stir it around the steps until the water drops below 60 degrees.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jagfan
    I believe I've found the source and overcome the algae problems I had prior to this year. The culprits were the underside of the steps on the ladder in the deep end. Although I couldn't see it, the area was harboring green algae. Once I realized this and scrubbed it all off, I haven't had a problem. I'm not able to remove the ladder from the pool anymore (it is stuck in very tight), so I use a toilet scrub brush and brush them every day while I'm in the pool. Don't know what I'm going to do after swimming season because I can't reach the underside of the steps from outside the pool.
    Time to get inventive!

Browse the housewares departments at a few stores. See if someone doesn't have a ceiling fan duster that might work, upside down. Check what's available for cleaning out raingutters. Or just look for a suitable brush, something you can bend in a U, then saw the handle off a worn-out pool brush and epoxy things together. Voila! You have a shepherd's crook ladder brush attachment!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

I've got the perfect round-ish pool brush and am thinking of making the handle and U out of PVC and gluing the brush into it.

9. Back To Top    #9

Or, you could get a huge bottle brush from a hardware store (they may have them) or a brewery supply store (they definitely will). Those can be bent every which way, and may work for you.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Or, you could get a huge bottle brush from a hardware store (they may have them) or a brewery supply store (they definitely will). Those can be bent every which way, and may work for you.
    Never heard of them, but will check it out. Thanks for the tip.