How to test pool using HTH 6-way tester?!?

I had the same problem, I have a vinyl pool so am not testing calcium or hardness whatever it is.

For the CL an PH test. fill both sides of the comparator block to the line.
5 drops OTO on the yellow side that's your CL reading
5 drops Phenol Red on the red side gets you your pH reading

I can't remember the rest right now....No instructions.

But I'll get back to you on this.

Ok..I went and got the bottles to try and make sense of it all

For the alkalinity test.

Fill the big round test bottle to 25ml and add 5 drops of the Alkalinty Indicator
Then add the alkalinity titrant drop by drop while trying to swirl the test tube until it turns red.

Multiply # of drops of titrant X10 to get your Alkalinty #

Don't have the CYA test handy...I'm out.

Thank you very much for the help! Now we can get everything running well with the pool! Im sure ill be coming to this site many more times for help throughout the summer! Like I said, we're new to the pool world and this is JUST what we needed to keep it safe for us and our new puppy!

You're welcome.

Meanwhile, if you haven't already done so.

I would suggest you read through the pool school link for the recommended chem test ranges and familiarize yourself with the pool calculator which is found here.
www.poolcalculator.com

At least get some cyanuric acid aka chlorine stabilizer in the water so your chlorine is not lost to sunlight.
Or you can use some stabilized pucks for a week or two to go the easy way and revert to liquid chlorine after which is highly recommended.

The hth kit will serve you well as I've used it for the last 5 seasons, I just ordered the TF-100 which is even better although it is pricey compared to the hth it simply provides more info that we sometimes need.

For the CYA test:
Fill the squeeze bottle (with the white cap) to the 1st line with pool water. (I think it is a 7ml mark). Then at the CYA titrant up to the next line (I think it is 14 ml). Shake/mix for 30 sec.

Now you need the skinny tube that has a black dot on the inside bottom. Take the mixture and slow sqeeze it into the skinny bottle (it should start to look cloudy) and QUIT as soon as you can no longer see the dot. Check the level of it with the markings on the side and that is your CYA reading.

There you have it! They say there is enough titrant to do this test 2 times. Once in the beginning of the season and then halfway through. :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.