Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure problem?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pressure problem?

Hello. Total Rookie here.

Pool is barely circulating, and having trouble getting clean. Plus I posted early about a problem I notcied with my spa not draining when the pump comes on.

A friend looked at my pump and filter yesterday and thought that the pressure was way to high. I think he is right, because when I turn it on, for the first few minutes the pressure is low, and the jets in the pool really start working well. But after a couple of minutes the pressure in the filter rises really high and the jet flow slows to a crawl. He thought that might be the problem, but didn't know how to fix it.

Is that possibly the issue? And if so, anything I can do to remedy it?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pressure problem?

What kind of filter do you use ?( make and model number ) Sounds like its time to clean the filter or backwash.
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

3. Back To Top    #3

We're going to need some more information. What kind of filter, pump etc.? When was it last cleaned or had the media replaced?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

What is the pressure guage reading?
    10,408 gallon, 21' round, 52 in' deep AG, half in ground
    Artesian Clear Master Plus Sand Filter, Artesian Turbo King 2 hp pump, installed June 08
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    GEAUX TIGERS!
    Pics taken 2012
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0606.jpg
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0607.jpg

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, thanks guys, here is some more info,

Pressure is up around 30, filters are new replaced in october of last year, and were cleaned about a week ago. Model is American products company NAAP150

Just today I removed all the filters, started the pump and the pressure dropped to about 10 and seems to be circulating much better.

What now?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Your filters have done their job and have filtered something out of your pool (probably dead algae). you will need to clean and put them back in but you must also identify the problem that caused them to clog in the first place. (again, I suspect you have been low on chlorine and have algae in your pool)

If you will post a full set of pool water test results, we will be able to help you clear your water so your filters won't plug up so quickly.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Bull, I had a very similar problem and couldn't solve it. Cleaned the filter twice, pressure still high. Then I started to separate the pleats on the filter and found light color dog hair in there. Hair doesn't rinse out as easily as other debris. So I separated the pleats, one by one, and rinsed them with a high pressure nozzle. That was all it took.

Could also be what duraleigh describes if you've recently de-greened your pool. I think the solution to that is a muriatic acid/water bath.

Jim.
    In ground Pool, 13,000 gallons, Cartridge filter (big), Single pump, Hayward Goldline Aqua Rite
    Central Florida
    Miller Lite
    Tony Stewart

8. Back To Top    #8

I'll seperate the pleats, and really clean them out. That could be the problem.

How do I do an acid bath?

9. Back To Top    #9

Here's a link to the instructions
    how-to-clean-a-cartridge-filter-t4465.html

Post back and let us know how it pans out. You'll know when you spread those pleats whether that was your problem or not.

Good Luck, Jim.
    In ground Pool, 13,000 gallons, Cartridge filter (big), Single pump, Hayward Goldline Aqua Rite
    Central Florida
    Miller Lite
    Tony Stewart

10. Back To Top    #10

Cleaned them last night, there was what looked like a lot of algae on them. I am ready to acid bathe them, from what I have read, 1 part acid and 10 parts water? Is it helpful to also bath them in choline and water too?

Thanks for all the help so far!

11. Back To Top    #11

Flexabull, how does the water look? If you have algae, you can expect them to clog again very soon.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Melt in the Sun and I suspect the same thing......ultimately, it's not a filter issue.

you will need to clean and put them back in but you must also identify the problem that caused them to clog in the first place. (again, I suspect you have been low on chlorine and have algae in your pool)
    Can you post a set of test results?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Pool does have algae not that the pump hasn't worked in the last few days. And it's cloudy.

14. Back To Top    #14

Did you say what kind of filter you have?

At any rate, consider doing a soak in dishwasher detergent first. That might take care of it. If you are going to do an acid wash, you need to do the dishwasher detergent soak first to remove oils. Otherwise the acid soak could "glue" the oils to the filter grid or cartridge fabric. BTW.... some DE filters use cartridges instead of grids.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by flexabull
    Cleaned them last night, there was what looked like a lot of algae on them. I am ready to acid bathe them, from what I have read, 1 part acid and 10 parts water? Is it helpful to also bath them in choline and water too?

Thanks for all the help so far!
    For my spa cartridges, which are paper like, in-between detergent soak/acid soak, which I don't do every time I change them out (I have four and change them out weekly or every few days) I'll soak them in bleach/water solution. I don't know about pool filter cartridges/grids though. Spas are more apt to develop bio-films (bacteral slime that is hard to get rid of if it takes hold), though, than pool filters, due to high temps and much higher "bather load" due to such a small body of water.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine