Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I add borates slowly??

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I add borates slowly??

Your example of how to add borates says to use 6 fluid ounces of acid per 12 oz. by weight of borax.

I'm concerned about the pH jumping around too wildly because I've had issues with metals and staining.

Can I add 1 box of 20 mule team borax (76 oz) and 38 fluid oz. of acid once a day until I've used up my borax?

As I go along, if the pH starts to drift, I can always add a little more or a little less acid, right?

That just seems like an easy way to get there, to me, without the possible problems of a fluctuating pH.

What do ya' think, oh brilliant chemistry nerds and geeks??
    Elizabeth

Newbie with 18 x 36 rectangular pool, estimated at 18,000 gallons, sand filter, inground w/vinyl liner, SWCG

(Plus a houseful of nearly grown kids)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I add borates slowly??

If you are worried about PH fluctuations, you should use boric acid, instead of borax and muriatic acid. Boric acid is only very slightly acidic and won't have much impact on your PH at all.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    If you are worried about PH fluctuations, you should use boric acid, instead of borax and muriatic acid. Boric acid is only very slightly acidic and won't have much impact on your PH at all.

In a perfect world, that would, indeed, be the right answer.

But:
    A. I know where to buy borax, and
    B. I've already bought it.
    Elizabeth

Newbie with 18 x 36 rectangular pool, estimated at 18,000 gallons, sand filter, inground w/vinyl liner, SWCG

(Plus a houseful of nearly grown kids)

4. Back To Top    #4

Then your proposed solution of adding small quantities over a period of time is probably the best way to go. You can add batches as often as once every hour, or even every half hour, if your want. Half an hour to an hour with the pump running is enough time for everything to mix in properly and the PH to stabilize.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School