Fine Tuning With BBB

Recent convert to BBB and looking good so far. Reading as follows:

FC 3
    CC 0
    CYA 30
    CH 80
    TA 80
    pH 7.5

I check pH and FC in the evening, add bleach as required. I shut the filter down before I go to bed and turn it back on in the am. Saturday morning complete chemistry with the TF100. Like many, still a little unsure of the CYA reading, but it's close (need to buy the 50 ppm standard).

Currently have some 3" pucks in a floater (just returned from vacation). Will likely discontinue these after they are fully dissolved (until next vacation).

My question: Since FC decreases during the day, should I be taking my FC reading in the morning and adjusting then or am I OK the way I am doing it now. I remember reading some advice on a forum some time ago, but cannot find it. (By the way - I checked the FC reading this morning and it is just where I expected it to be based upon last night's addition, so little or no overnight loss).
    phil_d
    20,000 gal. vinyl liner pool
    Hayward Perflex EC-65 DE filter w/1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump
    Liquidator w/ 3/8" upgrade
    Aquabot Jr. pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fine Tuning With BBB

It is best to test and adjust the FC level in the evening, though you can do it in the morning if you want. Adjusting FC in the evening gives the chlorine longer to work before it starts being lost to sunlight.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I test in the morning and evening - it takes little time with the low-level chlorine "sub-kit" in the TF100 and it gives me peace of mind that my pool is not going south on me - (no offense intended to those south of the Mason-Dixon line
    25 K gal, vinyl, IG, next to forest,liquid chlorine and tab chlorinator backup,55gpm sand filter,1.5hp pump

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Hi, Phil,

You are a BBB'r!!! You have a very good understanding of your pool water and your regimen indicates that.

My bet is your water looks pretty darn clear.

Like Jason, I try to dose my chlorine in the evening, but it sometimes interferes with the adult beverage dosing which is a greater priority.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks to all. Yes, the water is crystal clear (according to my wife, who can spot cloudiness quicker than a nephlometer!). I expect it to stay that way and to finally get some real enjoyment out of the pool.
    phil_d
    Aquabot Jr. pool cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

I think you have it down pat. Relax and enjoy.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Nephelometer. great word. It is being put into my vocabulary right now!
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

8. Back To Top    #8

A nephlometer measures opacity or cloudiness of solutions. Used in the pharmaceutical industry (and others, I suppose) to measure for gross impurities.
    phil_d
    Aquabot Jr. pool cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by phildesantis
    A nephlometer measures opacity or cloudiness of solutions. Used in the pharmaceutical industry (and others, I suppose) to measure for gross impurities.
    Yet another reason to come to TFP. My vocabulary improves daily on this site .

I started off testing twice daily (am and pm) until I "leraned" my pool's patterns. I now test every two days and make a chlorine addition daily. I guess it all depends on your comfort level, the stability of your pool, and bather load. Any way you decide to go, as long as you don't fall below the minimum chlorine spec, I figure you are OK!

And, I agree....pool testing can not interfere with adult beverage time. Martinis are much more important than sodium hypochlorite.
    13,000 gal AGP, Hayward X-Stream 100 sq ft cartridge, 1 HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump, all on two 6-hour on cycles per day. Baquacil to BBB convert.
    "It is necessary for us to learn from others' mistakes. You will not live long enough to make them all yourself." - Hyman G. Rickover

10. Back To Top    #10

I personally think doing a FAS DPD test should replace other field sobriety tests. That whole dropping while swirling and counting, and sipping beverage at the same time can be kind of tricky. Sometimes it is best to just wait until morning!
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    It is best to test and adjust the FC level in the evening, though you can do it in the morning if you want. Adjusting FC in the evening gives the chlorine longer to work before it starts being lost to sunlight.
    I am a new convert to dosing and have not quite figured out the best time and how many times it should be necessary to hand dose per day. To start with I have dosed morning, noonish and before dark. When you are at the optimum test wise i.e. everything in range, how many doses should do the job per day? My situation is full sun and low swimmer load.

Thanks for the help.
    17,000 gallon gunite in ground pool, white traditional plaster
    1 HP Hayward Super II, 48 SQFT Hayward diatomaceous earth filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm Heater 333btu
    Rainbow Chlorinator (on vacation only), Polaris 380, Hayward Colorlogic 4.0 led, Poolmiser Auto-fill

12. Back To Top    #12

jcmac - once per day should do the trick. Test your water in the evening, use the pool calculator and aim for the top of the recommended FC levels for your CYA, and make your addition.
    13,000 gal AGP, Hayward X-Stream 100 sq ft cartridge, 1 HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump, all on two 6-hour on cycles per day. Baquacil to BBB convert.
    "It is necessary for us to learn from others' mistakes. You will not live long enough to make them all yourself." - Hyman G. Rickover

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by NCFlyersFan
    jcmac - once per day should do the trick. Test your water in the evening, use the pool calculator and aim for the top of the recommended FC levels for your CYA, and make your addition.

Thanks, I am now on the evening dose method. One dose a day is doable.. 3 is not that much fun.

jc
    17,000 gallon gunite in ground pool, white traditional plaster
    1 HP Hayward Super II, 48 SQFT Hayward diatomaceous earth filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm Heater 333btu
    Rainbow Chlorinator (on vacation only), Polaris 380, Hayward Colorlogic 4.0 led, Poolmiser Auto-fill