All new to this and SWG to boot! Help!

Jun 26, 2010
I purchased an Intex steel frame pool to try out owning a pool before I invest in something more expensive. Our water was trucked in - I understand it came from a local brook or small river per the deliverer who works for a fire dept as well. My pool was clean- new and then the water came in and the pool was dirty on the bottom. I vacuumed w/ the useless one that the manufacturer provided, again and again but could not get a foot hold. We decided to try to run the pump and additionally ran the SWG Boost cycle for approx 12hrs w/90# of pool salt(some other blogs said the manufacturers recommended amount was too high). I added CYA as mentioned by the manufacturer (which was supposed to reduce pump and SWG time), and in the AM after running, the FC was approx 2-3 but the ph was too high (over 8.5) and AT 240. The boost didn't seem to boost/shock well enough w/1000gph pump and cleaned cartridge filter. I cleaned the pool several times during the day, then I bought some HTH ph down and used the pool calculator online. Before turning in for the night, FC was at 0 so I added 18oz of 6% liquid bleach and 10oz of the ph down. Should I have added more to shock it? We're hoping this will balance the pool and let us return to our regular 3-4 hour cycle. Until then, I plan to run pump 8hrs+/-...
Any suggestions? :? Should I have used chemical shock for start up and then the SWG to maintain? I'd like to swim in it this summer... and summers are short in VT

• 4400gal/SWG/Intex AG/1000gph pump/filter cartridge/
    copper ion 0.1
    FC 2 to 3 (dropped to 0 early evening)
    ph over 8.4
    AT 240
    CYA 30-50
    salt 4.8 = 2350ppm

Your SWG should not be used to shock, use bleach to get it to shock and let the SWG maintain it. You should use muratic acid to bring the ph down, it will have the added benifit of reducing your TA. Use the online pool calculator to get your shock target level. You would be way ahead of the game if you got yourself a tech level test kit, such as the tf-100.
You either have something organic in the pool that needs to be shocked out, or your cya level is lower than you think. For the moment lets assume you need to shock.

Thanks! Good to know for next year....The SWG implies the shock cycle should do this but I think it is too time intensive... I can live w/ a little chemical boost.

The bleach & the ph down (was HTH- is that a dry form of HCL?- it doesn't list the chemicals on the label which I think is a sin) brought the pool in line ...ran pump all night... I vacuumed w/ pantyhose filter and rigged hose to pump inlet, then changed filter afterwards and the pool is a lot clearer. I think I'm gaining...:party:

Yes- I used the pool calculator... muriatic acid a/k/a HCL... I'll get some to have on hand for shocking... Is it better to run the pump/SWG cycle in evening? Or AM??

Its better to divide your pump time equally in the morning and night. Muratic acid is cheaper than ph down, at least where I live. You wont need it to shock your pool but rather to maintain your ph level and lower your TA.

OK- I've been testing pool daily, been putting 1-2cps clorox in pool each night except last night.... Water has been clear, but I noted some scum near the skimmer- but not on the vinyl pool itself... When I sweep, I do get some stuff off the bottom, and vacuum up-- pool water looks nice and clear...
I decided to test the pool and got the recommended TFTK TF-100 online...readings below
I followed the pool calculator, added 3.6oz muriatic acid in concentration noted, 31oz of 6%bleach, and stabilizer granuales CYA in a sock- approx 40oz as indicated on the calculator.... I've been using pump 8hours a day, I did not check chlorine two days ago--
I run the SWG 3-4 hours daily, the copper is almost non-existant, we've changed the filters almost daily, rinsing and replacing, but the SWG doesn't seem to be doing what it was designed to do...I've run the boost twice-- any suggestions???
I'm ready to send it back, ask for a refund, and just use pool chemicals--- I'm ending up doing it anyway.... :? :hammer:

I do have a question about the test kit... When it says "til it turns red" does that mean as it is just starting to get a red tinge? or does it need to be fire engine red???

• 4400gal/SWG/Intex AG/1000gph pump/filter cartridge/
    copper ion 0??
    FC 0.6 (dropped to 0 early evening)
    ph over 7.8 to 8
    BR 1.3
    TA 300
    CYA 0
    salt 5.4 = 3000ppm (pool recommendation)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.