Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: you are going to love this...

1. Back To Top    #1

you are going to love this...

I have been doing the BBB method for little over a week and have been shocking for a couple of days, pool is so clear, I think its the best since we purchased the house two years ago. Hubby went to return some of the un-open junk we had from the pool store and he said as a cover up for getting his money back he was going to let them check the water which I thought was a good plan so I could see the numbers they got and what I have with the FT100 kit. He goes in the store, does the return and has to wait to have the water check because the man in front of him had "bad water" Hubby said the guys bill was over $300 with all the banish and junk they sold the guy. They check our water and the girl tells him, you need nothing this has been the best reading so far today. Hubby and the guy with the bad water start to talking and he ask him how come he was not as lucky. When they walked out the store husband tells him he does not know all I do but he knows its with BLEACH!! Then guy gets Ray to call me so he can have the website and to know what I am doing After I told him he said he was going to check out the site and would be returning the stuff he just purchased!! I wish someone had told me before now but I am on a mission to tell everyone I know that has a pool! Thanks everyone for all the help and for answering all my crazy question when I am confused.
    Betsy

PS: The pool store numbers today was very close to what I had with my kit.
    18k gallon in ground plaster with attached spa
    Pentair CCP 320 cartridge filter
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWG
    IntelliFlo VS pump
    Teledyne Laars ESC heater
    Hayward Pool Vac Ultra cleaner w/ skimmer Vac Plate and inline leaf basket
    Palm Springs, CA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: you are going to love this...

I've actually waited for a woman to come out of the pool store to "enlighten" her. We were having our water tested at the same time (pre TF100) and I couldn't believe the **** they wanted her to do based on her numbers. Too many folks think the pool store is the guru, and what we do is voodoo!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

What state do you guys live in where they will take returns on chemicals? I have tried in NJ after switching to BBB and was told that by law they could not take back even unopened chemicals. I have not checked the law books but was wondering if this were just another pool store fraud.
    phil_d
    20,000 gal. vinyl liner pool
    Hayward Perflex EC-65 DE filter w/1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump
    Liquidator w/ 3/8" upgrade
    Aquabot Jr. pool cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm in Jersey too and any pool store near me will NOT take back chemicals.
    14x30 Viking "Santa Barbara" Fiberglass Pool 12,500 gallon
    IntelliFlo Variable Speed Programmable Pump
    Salt Water Generator with AquaRite Electronic Chlorinator
    Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Same here for Indiana - no returns on chemicals.
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

6. Back To Top    #6

I am in NJ and I returned a bucket of Wal-Mart HTH pucks this Spring (used only for travel periods) because I freaked when I saw the copper algaecide content. The girl at service desk never hesitated, even though she clearly had no idea what I was talking about.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

7. Back To Top    #7

I am in South Carolina and they took it back but they did check to see if it had been opened.
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWG
    IntelliFlo VS pump
    Palm Springs, CA

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

What about HD/ Lowe's in NJ?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

First and foremost - Welcome Lynns!

I'm from NJ and I always like to help my fellow Garden Staters!

Here in Ct., there are NO returns on pool chems

I guess if you're cute enough, you can 'force' the issue but, by law. chems can't be returned
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks "waste"! Not to hijack this thread but I wish I'd have found this site while I was still in the installation stages. Nothing but problems with the pool builder. Could've used some of the expert advice I've been reading. Especially from fellow Jersey folks!
    14x30 Viking "Santa Barbara" Fiberglass Pool 12,500 gallon
    IntelliFlo Variable Speed Programmable Pump
    Salt Water Generator with AquaRite Electronic Chlorinator
    Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Funny! I went into a Jersey pool store today in search of borate test strips today. After the counter guy had to ask the store "expert" they both turned to me and never heard of the stuff. After throwing a few way off guesses out there they asked me to explain what I was talking about and why I wanted to test it. I gave them the best explanation I could (I'm still a noob) and said "thanks anyway" on my departure. I never felt so good, or superior either. Thanks for all the advice and may the good stuff keep coming.
    18'x24' (10,000 gal) above ground pool, 19" Proline sand filter (45 GPM), Jacuzzi 1.5 HP 2 speed pump

12. Back To Top    #12

In California, no returns on pool chemicals, even unopened. One time I bought the wrong thing and realized it as I was walking out the door and then quickly turned around to return/exchange it and they let me do that, but explained that they really weren't supposed to.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by ShockerLU3
    Funny! I went into a Jersey pool store today in search of borate test strips today. After the counter guy had to ask the store "expert" they both turned to me and never heard of the stuff. After throwing a few way off guesses out there they asked me to explain what I was talking about and why I wanted to test it. I gave them the best explanation I could (I'm still a noob) and said "thanks anyway" on my departure. I never felt so good, or superior either. Thanks for all the advice and may the good stuff keep coming.
    Even more ironic on this vein...
    Several pool chemical companies have a borate or boric acid product to improve clarity, water feel, etc....and I'm sure they'd be all so happy to recommend it to a customer, yet, have no idea what it is. Pool Season and Bioguard are two I know of. It might be fun to go to the chemical company's website which they distribute and see what they have along that line. Then ask about that product and see what they say...

I have nothing else to do but think of ways to get a laugh from the pool store...
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by bdodds
    Hubby said the guys bill was over $300 with all the banish and junk they sold the guy.
    Every time I go to the LPS to pick up an o-ring or other part, I feel bad for the people buying all the junk. I not-so-fondly remember those days and wonder how many cool toys (like SWG, solar cover reel, variable speed pump, and probably more) I could have bought with all of that money I wasted.....

The other thing that amazes me is when you talk to some of them about how to take control of their pool they politely laugh you off and continue to run the visa card through the card reader......
    13,000 gal AGP, Hayward X-Stream 100 sq ft cartridge, 1 HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump, all on two 6-hour on cycles per day. Baquacil to BBB convert.
    "It is necessary for us to learn from others' mistakes. You will not live long enough to make them all yourself." - Hyman G. Rickover

15. Back To Top    #15

I feel the same way, I bet we could have paid for another liner and then some because we have a ton of that junk still in the pool shed but yet our pool has never looked so clear and pretty as it does now thanks to finding TFP and doing the "BBB"
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWG
    IntelliFlo VS pump
    Palm Springs, CA

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

I take back unopened chems.