Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black Powdery stuff in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Black Powdery stuff in pool

Hi,

I changed my pool over to the BBB method from the Perma Salt System back in the middle of May. And couldn't be happier!!! Pretty clear, sparkling water.
    Here's my question: The last week or so we've noticed a black powdery (silt like) stuff in the pool, mainly in the liner creases. If you disturb the water over it, it disperses, it is not slimly. Walls and pool bottom feel great. Any suggestion on what it could be? My husband thinks it may just be stuff our sand filter is not catching. Until just recently it has been very dry, so when he moves it kicks up a lot of dust. I did have some left over Clariate from our Perma Salt days, it is suppose to make particles bonds and filter them out. He thinks it has helped it some.

Here is my numbers, I try to keep my FC between 4 and 6. I've not done a overnight FC test since May 27th. Will attempt one tomorrow morning, but I hear thunder.
    FC 4.5
    CC 0
    TC 4.5
    PH 7.8 should I lower this?
    TA 100
    CYA 50

Thank you,
    Carlotta
    Carlotta (aka Clodda)
    Oval AGP 18x33x54 18,000 gal.
    Vinyl
    2hp Hayward Pump
    Sand filter
    BBB Method
    Jug Dumper

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black Powdery stuff in pool

Is your pool, by chance, downwind of a barbeque?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Richard,

Our grill is not close to our pool, and neither are our neighbors. But I will run this question by my husband.
    Carlotta (aka Clodda)
    Oval AGP 18x33x54 18,000 gal.
    Vinyl
    2hp Hayward Pump
    Sand filter
    BBB Method
    Jug Dumper

4. Back To Top    #4

PH down to 7.4 would be good.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

You can lower the PH now, or wait till it goes up just a little more and then lower it.

I expect that the black dust is either pollen or blown in dust of some kind. Since it is already settling to the bottom on it's own there is no need to treat it, just vacuum it up every couple of days.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I had a similar thing recently. Mine was a bluish/black dust on the pool surface, sometimes it was massed together. I thought it might be some sort of insect eggs. I looked very close and they were extremly small bugs. They are gone now. I think the chlorine gave them a headache.
    20,000 gal., Jacuzzi 250L Laser Sand Filter, inground w/vinyl liner, 1hp pump motor, TF-100 Test Kit.