Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can you safely tap a 2" PVC pipe?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can you safely tap a 2" PVC pipe?

I have a Hayward off line chlorinator I am no longer using, and would like to remove the two lines that feed it coming off the 2" PVC pipe. My first question is, is there enough "meat" in the PVC pipe to tap and have enough threads to hold a plug? Other question is , if it was a 3/8" hole that was drilled in the pipe, is that the right size hole for a 1/4" NPT tap?
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can you safely tap a 2" PVC pipe?

Yes & Yes.

I have drillled and tapped PVC pipe as small as 1/2". As long as it's schedule 40 you'll be fine. I've even drilled and tapped DWV but it wasn't under perssure.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Why don't you use a tried and effective method of simply taking the input (or output) hoses off and connecting 1 of them to each port? - thereby taking the cl 200 off line?
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

OK, thanks guys.

I could do as you say waste, buy I prefer a "neater", more clean look...
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

5. Back To Top    #5

Well then, simply cut across the middle of the taps and glue a coupling on
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm with Waste. But, I wouldnt tap PVC. No reason too. Just cut it out and put in a coupling.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I agree with waste, cut it and use coupling or even better a union if needed.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

8. Back To Top    #8

Ahh, yes a coupling/union, that's a great idea...never thought of that

9. Back To Top    #9

Ya know, I've been thinking about doing the same thing with my off-line chlorinator, but I'm leaning to drill and tap the hole to thread in a boss for a pressure gauge. No real reason to have one there, but gauges look cool
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html