Prefill Test Results

Your fill water numbers look good.

You should have a couple of gallons of muriatic acid and a fair number of trichlor tablets on hand, though you probably won't use either right off. The key step for a fresh plaster startup is to talk to the plaster people, or your builder if they are present and actively managing the process, and find out what they are doing and what you are doing. You don't want to be working at cross purposes to the professionals during the first couple of days. You should also follow their advice as much as possible right at first, even if it contradicts something we tell you, because you don't want to do anything that might void your warranty.

Assuming the builder/plaster people don't tell you anything different, you will want run the pump 24x7 to start with. After about two days, start using trichlor tablets and monitoring the PH. The PH will tend to go up very rapidly for the first three or four weeks. You want to keep the PH below 8.0 at all times, which will probably mean daily acid additions. You don't usually want to be adjusting TA or CH for the first several weeks. Both TA and CH will rise on their own as the plaster cures. The builder may add a large amount of acid near the start. Don't raise the PH, let it come up on it's own.

Thanks, Jason ...

I have read the New Plaster StartUp procedures in the Pool School and everything else there ... there is no builder and I don't expect the plaster crew to be much help ... generally all they do is sub for several builders ... I do have acid on hand and will get the trichlor tablets ... I also have several gallons of bleach ... don't know why I thought I would need that right away ...

--Jack

It might be worthwhile to have your well water tested for metals. That way you won't be shocked and horrified if it turns colors. And you can get the good sequestrant beforehand, rather than scramble and end up with whatever carp the local pool store has on the shelves.

Hi, Jack,

Welcome to the forum. :lol: For the life of me, I can't see in your posts where you are filling from a well.....I'm getting old!!

Anyway, if you do test positive for metals, I would consider having water trucked in if the price is not outrageous.

Battling metals from a well is perhaps the most problematic issue we have here on the forum and it NEVER goes away....NEVER!

If you brought in good water and then refilled from water-softened water (which I assume you would have if you have metals in your house water) you would never, ever have to deal with sequestrants, etc and pool management is much less of an issue.

Iron in the water can always be dealt with but you must always deal with it.

Thanks, Richard ...

Where does one get the water tested for metals ... the dreaded pool store ??? and what is the good sequestrant ???

Hoping to plaster tomorrow ... if moisture from Alex doesn't interfere ...

--Jack
As far as I know, yes, the pool store. Or spend a small fortune on the specialized test kits. You'd have to post the question about the best metal sequestrant - I only know what i've read here; my water comes through a meter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.