Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Teflon Tape on Union Threads?

1. Back To Top    #1

Teflon Tape on Union Threads?

What's the consensus about using teflon tape on union threads. I know that it's the union o-ring that seals and not the threads but I've heard it said that the decreased friction on the threads allows the union to be tightened better which compresses the o-ring better which makes for a better seal. Also, it supposedly makes it easier to disassemble the unions when the time comes.
    TFP Forum and the BBB Method Changed My Life!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Teflon Tape on Union Threads?

I suppose it might help a little, but I don't bother. A properly made union goes together and comes apart again very easily.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I used to use Teflon tape on galvanized unions and Dresser couplings as those would lock up due to corrosion. I have never done it with PVC. You can crack a PVC union nut by over-tightening with or without Teflon.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    A properly made union goes together and comes apart again very easily
    Can you tell me what constitutes a properly made union? I bought some unions to allow removal of my mpv, but I bought the glue in version. Do I need the screw in version? Never installed a union before so any pointers are appreciated!
    20k white plaster with blue quartz, IntelliFlo VS, Quad DE 100
    1000 gal spa with natural stone waterfall
    Beach entry with 2 bubblers. Pool built Spring 2013

5. Back To Top    #5

For swimming pool use, you normally use "slip" style unions, which glue to the pipe.

Some of the super cheap unions can be slippery when you try to grab them, or have threads that bind up. A good union will have a large textured area where you grab to tighten or loosen it and will have threads that smooth and turn easily.

They are reasonably easy to install. The key thing is to make sure the two pieces of pipe that the union is connecting together line up well. If the two pieces of pipe meet at an angle, even a very slight angle, it will be difficult or impossible to get the union together properly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

A little silicone grease will make them easier to remove in the future and prevent seizure from chalking.
    55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I'd recommend something similar to jack's lube as an anti-seize (if anything), i wouldn't use teflon tape in this situation.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp