salt water pool owner

Jun 26, 2010
Not a new owner but after reading on this site, feel like I am. This is great. I have a couple of questions. First on the BBB method you made this statement...It is also fine to use a salt water chlorine generator (SWG) to add chlorine to the pool instead of using bleach' How do I do this and with what product?? Salt?. I feel like a newbie...my pool guy said I would hardly ever have to check anything...WRONG! :hammer: It has been 100 plus temps the past 3 weeks and I have black looking stuff in the shallow end. It doesn't seem to puff up like mustard algae...help. I have a vinyl liner pool that is 18x36. Thank you so much.

glosing,

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

It is not clear from your post whether or not you currently are using an SWG. Tell us that.

Also, be prepared to put some chlorine in your pool quickly using bleach.

Secondly, start Reading Pool School....particularly the ABC's of Pool water Chemistry and read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School. You're going to need to do that.

yes...I do have swg. How do I add chlorine or bleach? Have never done this in the 3 years...was told not to by pool guy. Where do I pour it in...I will use bleach... water is very clear...just the black looking stuff in shallow end and a bit on the walls of deep end. We have to have electrical work done on Mon. and electricity will be off at least 24 hours. What should I do for that since i can't run the pool. Thanks so much.

You pour the chlorine very slowly into the return flow of water. Use the Pool Calculator to determine how much bleach or liquid chlorine to use. If you have no way to circulate the water, you'll need to use a brush on a pole to circulate manually for a good 10-15 minutes to disperse it.

I must sound like an alien that's never even seen a pool....is the place where the water enters back into the pool where the pool jets are ....where you feel the pressure blowing against your hands when you put it against the holes...feels like that is where water comes out but not sure....just pour bleach in front of that area?

Yep. Pour it slowly in front of the return. Please read pool school. Every article. It will get you up to speed on equipment, pool, and chemistry terms as well as how to take care of your pool.

Have you had a service take care of your pool so far? How do you check and adjust the pH, alkalinity, stabilizer, etc?

is the place where the water enters back into the pool where the pool jets are
Yep! Those are usually called returns because they "return" the water to the pool.

My assumption is you cannot post any test results. Is there a pool store near you where you can get some test results. That is really important to know before we suggest an amopunt of chlorine (bleach).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Raise your pH to 7.4 or so using 20 mule team borax.

read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School. YOu need to get some bleach and start the shock process ASAP. This article will describe how and will answer most of your questions. Post back for the ones it doesn't.

YOu will need to use the Pool Calculator (in my sig) to calculate your dosages.

At some point, you probably need to have your SWG looked at. It appears it is now working. However, it could be because you have so much algae, it is overwhelmed and can't produce enough chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.