Lots of rain lately. Pool sets near a tree; fairly diligent in keeping debris out. Pool in about a month. Got milky cloudy. Then cleared up a bit with extended swg run. still not crytal-clear but can see bottom of pool. floating slimy transparent jelly-like substance floating in pool. Fuzzy, dusty matter in pool as well.
My plan is to shock the pool according to the following information. I am new at this and need some assurance so...let me know what you all think.
Note: I have a limited reagent test kit. I have a TF-100 XL on order; it should arrive in 3-5 days.
1. Free CL, CC, CH, CYA-unable to determine with kit i have.
2. PH =7.6
3. TA=160+ (ph is ok and no calcium scaling so i am leaving this alone)
4. Total Residual Cl (both CC and Free)-between 1-1.5 (in range per my test kit). This test appears worthless.
5. CYA estimate-8ppm (based on .1kg cyanuric acid in 12430 liter pool, per mfg specs). This seems low based on TFP suggested ranges but I wouldn't be surprised if my math is in error.
6. Based on my CYA estimate (8 ppm), I determined the shock target to be 12. This target was determined by utilizing the 2nd row of the following table i found in TFP:
Stabilizer . . . . . . Min. FC . . . . Max FC . . . 'Shock' FC
=> 0 ppm . . . . . . . 1 ppm . . . . . 3 ppm . . . . 10 ppm
=> 10 - 20 ppm . . . . 2 ppm . . . . . 5 ppm . . . . 12 ppm
=> 30 - 50 ppm . . . . 3 ppm . . . . . 6 ppm . . . . 15 ppm
=> 60 - 90 ppm . . . . 5 ppm . . . . . 10 ppm . . .. 20 ppm
=> 100 - 200 ppm . . . 8 ppm . . . . . 15 ppm . . .. 25 ppm
7. Based on the pool calculator for FC (current=1.5, target =12), I plan on adding 72oz of 6% bleach to attain shock at 12ppm. The current value used (1.5) is my best guess based on the Total Residual CL value noted above.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!