We leave for a week's vacation starting tomorrow.
Pool has been nice and clear so far this season but I neglected it for about 5 days when we had a flurry of non-swimming guests (and had to focus our energies on tidying up the *inside* of the house) - with the solar cover and a lot of warm days, the water was around 80-84 degrees so comfy for the algae as well as for the people. Rolled back cover to find my FC down to 1.5 and a slight greenish haze, and so began the onslaught of 24 hour filtration and many gallons of bleach.
By yesterday the pool color was looking good albeit a bit cloudy, but I (probably incorrectly) guessed the cloudiness to be dead algae and added a few scoops of alum to start settling it out. Numbers last night at 9:30 p.m.:
This morning at 8 am my FC was 6 so clearly I'm not done shocking yet, so I added a gallon of 10% bleach then. FC at 3 p.m was 10.5 so I added another gallon to get it back up to shock level.
We leave for a week's vacation starting tomorrow and am wondering what's the most logical strategy for keeping the algae at bay (besides making sure I keep the FC at shock level for the rest of the day and maybe 1-2 ppm over shock level at bedtime)? should I sink a couple gallon jugs of bleach with small holes in them to diffuse out gradually? toss in some chlorine pucks and hope for the best, knowing I'll have to deal with however much CYA they add?