Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: 20 Mule Team Borax Store Locator

20 Mule Team Borax Store Locator

Hi Everybody, I've been around your forum for awhile now reading up on proper pool cleaning, I live in Los Angeles and have had trouble finding 20 Mule Team Borax. I checked my local CVS and Walgreens and they didn't have it, but I found a site that locates the product for you, http://www.henkelna.com/henkel-store-locator-9949.htm: you select Laundry Care under brand, and then the product and enter your zip code and it shows you the local retailers that carry it. I thought I'd share it for anyone having trouble locating the product.

Re: 20 Mule Team Borax Store Locator

Keep in mind that they show stores that carry borax at all, which isn't the same thing as stores that keep it in stock. Around here most of the regular grocery stores get some borax in twice a year, but are normally out of stock. All of them were listed when I tried that site.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Got mine at Target.

Be advised BORAX has changed packaging to a white box with green trim. Very different and easy to overlook at the store. Love BBB. In 7 years my pool has NEVER looked better or cost less $$$$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 Lb box at TARGET was $2.99. I have found a little goes a long way.

That's a good thing to keep in mind Jason, but at least it stops me from checking a store that never stocks it because it only shows, Ralphs, Albertsons (Gorcery Stores), and a KMart for me , but doesn't show Target, CVS, or Walgreens, but I think I'll find it. Thanks for the help guys, the BBB Method ROCKS!

Quote Originally Posted by ob1quixote
    Got mine at Target.
    ^ That's where I found mine, too.
    ~30K Gallon Vinyl IG, Triton II 24" 225# Sand Filter, Leslie HydraMax (Hayward Super II) pump
    Broken Hayward CL-200 Chlorohater, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot
    TF-100 Test Kit

For folks in Canada, the store locator doesn't work. I got a few pieces of information using Google, but then my phone calls and walking in store did not match. Here's info that might help others. I'm in Quebec, the Montreal region (south shore to be precise). Prices in CAD$ of course... YMMV.

- Wal-Mart does not carry Borax anymore. I asked a manager and she said the product disappeared a few months back and the "code" used for ordering it is no longer available.

- Zellers has it! It is a regular product, meaning a stock depletion will trigger a re-order. The 4 stores around my house have between 3 and 10 boxes. 5.49$+tx for 2Kg. $2.75/Kg My best price.

- JLemieux (bio cleaning products shop) has 25Kg bags for 97$+tx. That's 3.88$/Kg, 40% more expensive than Zellers, but they usually have at least one bag in store and can transfer quantities rapidly from a different store. They have many smaller sizes too.

- Simco. (http://www.simcoqc.com) a local chemical distributor providing various products in various quantities (from liters to truckload size!). They are close to my home and can provide borax AND Muriatic acid in one purchase. Borax is 80$ for 25kg. ($3.20/Kg) They also have Muriatic acid at about the same price as Rona hardware: about 60$ for 20 litres (5 gals). They also have soda ash, CYA, etc. My point with this one is I stumbled upon them on a pseudo-yellow-pages website, and I believe most areas with some industrial activity will have a company similar to this, that will sell to individuals in large enough quantities to avoid many trips to stores. For those who value their time and milleage high enough.

- I did not find borax in any supermarket in my neighborhood (Loblaws, Maxi, Super C, Metro, IGA) nor any pharmacy (I tried large Jean Coutu and Paharmaprix locations)

- Wonder if costco has it (I'm not a member). If they do, I would guess the price is ok and quantities would meet poolsize needs
    24k gallons, 16x32 ig vinyl. Jacuzzi 1.5 HP Magnum with Hayward sand filter. Newly added homemade solar heater with electronic controler. Switched to BBB June 2010. Adding borates...

Got mine at Walmart last year -- had enough left over where I didn't need to buy it this season so far.

Just adding my findings here - bought today at Walmart in Dallas for $3.38 each (Mule 76oz) - sweet! They only had three so i'll be back next week to scoop up the restock.
    In Ground Pool and Spa (plaster); 20,000 Gallons (39' * 14' * 5')
    Zodiac Pump Motor 2.5hp Model PHPM2.5
    Jandy DE Filter Model DEL60; Jandy LX Heater
    Aqua Pure SWG Model PLC1400
    Intermatic Mechanical Timer w/ freeze protector

If you have Amazon Prime, you can get 6 boxes of 20 Mule Team for about $20.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Senior Member In the Industry

I have never looked in a pharmacy but see it quite often in most grocery stores.
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

The Albertson's near me has both borax and washing soda on the shelf. Too bad I don't need either of them.

As an unrelated aside, they also have that blue starch you used to use to mix finger paint in elementary school, too! A well-stocked laundry aisle for sure.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

I picked mine up through Amazon prime, 12-76 oz boxes for 40 bucks (about 3 cents/oz). Since I'm already an Amazon Prime member I get free 2 day shipping. Saw this thread and decided it was time to get busy on my borate addition to the pool.

It's more than I need for my pool, but we have a front loading washer and 20 Mule Team used frequently with the laundry does a great job at keeping that musty smell that front loading washers are prone to.

There are a thousand other good uses for 20 Mule Team Borax.......I also use it as a great hand cleaner after playing mechanic on the vehicles. Just sprinkle a bit on your hands and scrub like normal bar soap!
    Mesa, AZ Spillover spa and inground pool, 12,500 G, pebble finish, Hayward C5030 (525sf) Cartridge Filter, Hayward EcoStar VS Pump, Installed July 2013, Hayward SWG T-Cell-15, Trident UV (I know, I know....was installed before I found this site!) Rock grotto waterfall, LED ColorLogic lighting, 110 BTU Heat Pro Electric Heat Pump, Maytronics Dolphin Supreme M5 cleaner, TF-100 test kit with Speed Stir.

FYI, I've had a front loader for almost 5 years, and have never had a musty smell. We only shut the front door when it's in use. Leave it wide open after done using, but after a day we can move the door to the almost closed position. Closing (sealing) the door when not in use can cause other issues as well, mainly problems with the seals.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II T100 Sand Filter, CompuPool CPCS48 SWG, TF-100 test kit

Heh....just re-read my post.....should have said "eliminate" musty smell, not "keep"....

Robbie, I agree.....keeping the door open helps a lot....ours are located in the pass-through hallway from garage, though, so it's not possible to keep 'em open full time.

When it does arise we toss in 1/4 cup of Borax with a load of whites. Helps make the whites whiter and knocks out any sign of musty smell for at least a week or so.
    Mesa, AZ Spillover spa and inground pool, 12,500 G, pebble finish, Hayward C5030 (525sf) Cartridge Filter, Hayward EcoStar VS Pump, Installed July 2013, Hayward SWG T-Cell-15, Trident UV (I know, I know....was installed before I found this site!) Rock grotto waterfall, LED ColorLogic lighting, 110 BTU Heat Pro Electric Heat Pump, Maytronics Dolphin Supreme M5 cleaner, TF-100 test kit with Speed Stir.