Reducing Chlorine

Aug 6, 2008
Honolulu
Not wishing to flog a dead horse with my last post "I just did an iron treatment" and moving on I have the following seemingly simple question.

Yesterday evening my FC was at 22, this morning it has only fallen to 20. I would like to open it to swimming this evening. Normally after even high levels of shocking with liquid chlorine it will drop quickly back to just above normal levels in this case FC 4, with a CYA of 30. I think using Chem Geek's analogy of "Soldiers and Reserves" I have killed all the enemy and am now in a state where I will not use the front line troops (at least not very often), nor at present use the reserves, in this case held by my CYA.

The question then is would it be allright if I dropped my FC using Thio-Trine/Sodium Thiosulphate to say FC 6 to start swimming again? My guess is it would be but I want to make sure and if it is how long would you recommend I wait after the treatment?

This will be hopefully my last post for a while.

Thank you to those that help.

with a CYA of 30...all you need is an FC of around 12ppm to be considered safe to swim in. Buit you can use a chlorine neutralizer to bring it down quicker if needed.

Thank you both for the quick replies.

Hopefully by this evening it will have dropped closer to, at or below 12; unfortunately it is not a very sunny day but things change quickly here. pH change is Ok as it is currently 7.2 and the target is 7.4.

Aloha.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.