Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Calculator/Shocking/ Bleach...

1. Back To Top    #1

Jacksonville, Arkansas not too far from Little Rock

Pool Calculator/Shocking/ Bleach...

OK! Started out with a Green Mess I got my PH down and thought I was shocking it. I guess I am not using the pool calculator correctly, I added 2 182oz of bleach & 4 pucks along with 1pkt of Super Shock... My CYA was below 20.

I added another bottle of bleach this morning before I left for work & turned the pump from recirculate to filter. My daughter is at home sweeping and backwashing every time I call her. I don't know if I have enought bleach in there to shock. I've been reading TONS of subjects and going in circles with all the information, yet learning A LOT!

I am going to perform my overnight FC test tonight since it's the weekend and I'll have time to concentrate on the pool. I've got to wait to order a good testing kit until next pay period(strict budget) but have the HTH 6way from Walmart.

Do I have to test my PH & start all over when I get home?
    How do I really know how much bleach to add? I see people adding TONS.

I hope I'm on the right track, it's not swamp green anymore...I guess that's a good thing.
    17.5 x 28.5 16,000 GAL,/ IG Vinyl/ 18" Hayward Sand Filter w/ 1.5 HP Super Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Calculator/Shocking/ Bleach...

You probably weren't far from shocking. The pool calculator calls for 3 jugs of 182oz 6% for 15ppm in 17,000 gallons. The pucks are useless for shocking since the dissolve slowly.

The key is to get to shock level, and to stay there. With algae, you'll use up a significant part of your chlorine in an hour. I usually check and adjust the chlorine hourly for about the first 4 or 5 hours, then drop back to every 4 hours for a couple of cycles, then go to 8 hour intervals until the water clears. You'll notice your demand dropping so you'll know when to increase the interval for testing.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you! I guess I don't have my confidence level up and am second questioning myself. I put the pucks in to keep some level of chlorine in while I am at work...and at the same time hoping that it would bring my CYA up a little more.

I will continue to do this.

Thanks again!!!

4. Back To Top    #4

I guess, it does look better....I'll pick up more bleach and continue. Wish I found this site last year before I put hundreds of dollars into it. I will now be ANTI-POOL STORE!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks like you are going in the right direction! Just remember your PH will not test properly until you are finished shocking and back under 10PPM of chlorine.
    18X38 Grecian 26000 gallon In Ground Vinyl. Goldline AuqaRite SWG with a 1.5 HP Pentair Pump. Triton 2 Sand Filter Two main drains with 4 main returns with 2 more returns on the swimout and two skimmers. Polaris 380