What Is This in The Bottom Of My Pool

Tbell

Jun 20, 2010
Tennessee
I fight this stuff every year and don't know what it is! If I vacuum it is gone and then I backwash the pump and 30 minutes later it returns! It like a fine dust. Dead algae maybe???? I have always attributed it to being just dust that has settled or residue from baking soda or borax that has settled. Then last year i decided it could be mustard algae? But I have kept the pool at shock level for 3 days. Yesterday was the first day we were able to use the pool. The pool was crystal clear and NOTHING on the bottom and then the kids stayed in for 4 hours and I forgot to backwash after they got out. a couple of hours later I went out to clean up around the pool and this stuff was all over the bottom. Any ideas??? I want it out! My Chlorine was still at shock level after they got out so I just don't have a clue.

Attachments

• crapinpool.jpg
    crapinpool.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 161
We put the Wedding Cake steps in at the start of the day but I scrubbed them down with bleach inside and out first to make sure I didn't get anything in the pool. Could my boys be that dirty??? LOL! This stuff is all over the bottom of the whole 30'! I guess I will be vcuuming again today!

We have a lot of dirt settle in our pool. Regular vacuuming is the only way keep it down. As long as people are swimming it gets stirred up and yu don't see it but as soon as they get out and the water settles a little it settles right back on the bottom.

Your FC level might be just slightly too low, or the debris might have been blown in by high winds. If your FC level is just a little too low, stuff like that will appear every day. It will often also appear for two or three days after any significant storm.

Thanks Jason....I upped the FC a little while ago guessing according to these cheapo test strips from Walmart! But I ordered the TF~100 and it will be delivered today so will finally get some accurate test results later! We did have a storm come up last evening so that could be part of it! I have pine trees and every time the wind blows I am dipping pine needles out of the pool. I would love to cut them down...they cause my pool all kinds of problems.

I have the same problem. I think these particles are to small for a sand filter to filter out. I have in the past vacuumed to waste so that these particles do not get introduced back into the pool. This will not cure the problem 100% but is does help.

I think you are right Jason. It seems like when I get close to it with the vacuum head it just poofs back up into the water instead of being sucked up. And then what is sucked up doesn't get filtered by the sand. I guess I'm going to vacuum again. LOL!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.