Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: almost catching prime

1. Back To Top    #1

almost catching prime

I have a leak in my pump, which I bought the kit http://www.poolcenter.com/gokit3.jpg to hopefully replace.....well that's another issue, but thought you should know in case it's related to the problem below.

Every night I have to prime the pump, and I'm noticing strange behavior which I cannot explain. I close all the returns except for my closest skimmer, fill up the pump basket and turn on the pump. All is working fine, and the pump reaches about 90-95% capacity and then it just loses prime. It doesn't start to lose it, it just loses it.

If I do the same process with the main drain, it works fine (it just takes me longer). Once it gets primed, I can then open my skimmers without any problems. Can somebody explain why I lose prime with the closest skimmer. BTW, once the pump is working fine, the closest skimmer's suction is good.

thanks
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: almost catching prime

Sounds like the skimmer is sucking air when you're trying to prime the pump.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

but the water level is half-way up the skimmer which, from what I understand, is the correct level. Of course, I'm a newbie, so I could be wrong...probably am too.

I guess I will try it again, with the skimmer cover off and see what's going on there.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Sometimes even with the water level half way the water will form a vortex when you're drawing a lot of water through it and suck air in. Sometimes it's caused by the weir sticking so check that as well.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jrguzmanr
    but the water level is half-way up the skimmer which, from what I understand, is the correct level. Of course, I'm a newbie, so I could be wrong...probably am too.

I guess I will try it again, with the skimmer cover off and see what's going on there.
    That sounds like a good plan. Check that the weir on that skimmer (the flapper) isn't binding. If I hold the weir closed, I can empty my strainer and be sucking air in about 4 seconds!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

sounds like a plan!

thanks