Green Swamp for new pool owner

Jun 25, 2010
Atlanta, GA
First of all, thanks to everyone for the awesome information on this forum!!

My wife and I bought a foreclosure in December with a seriously jacked up pool. We had to have the bottom reworked and a new liner installed. I'll post some pictures when I find them. I had to replace the pump motor and do a few other small odds and ends like cleaning concrete out of the skimmer basket (who knows why it was there?).

The pool has been up for a little over a month now. I had to be out of town for about 3 weeks after the pool was filled. I was just getting the pool set up and running nicely when I left. I'm using the BBB Method.

My wife met me out of town for the last 4 days of my trip. When we returned, we had a very dark green swamp in our back yard :(

I have read through Pool School at least once and I read about turning a Swamp into an Oasis. (turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparking-oasis-t4147.html)

My pool is now a milky white color. I was keeping the pool at shock levels for about 3 days, testing twice per day (I started before I read the Swamp to Oasis post.) I understand that it may take a week for this to filter out and become clear again.

Do I need to keep the FC up during this time, or can I let it come back down?? Is there anything else I need to be doing?

Last Nights test (I bought a Taylor test kit with liquid reagents can't remember model #, but it didn't test CYA so I ordered CYA only directly from Taylor)
FC - 2 ppm
pH - 7.4
TA - 80
CYA ~ 30 (I added CYA 3 days ago as it was close to zero with the new pool water.) It could still be dissolving. I'll retest next week for a better indication and adjust as needed.

Thanks again, everyone!!

Shea

Welcome to TFP.

IF, you have a kit with a FAS-DPD chlorine test you can run an overnight chlorine loss test and if you have:
  • 1ppm or less FC loss[/*:m:3dvzdkoh]
  • .5 or less CC's[/*:m:3dvzdkoh]
then you can let the FC come back to normal levels while the water is clearing. If you don't have a FAS-DPD you'll need to hold shock level until your pool is clear.

I'd be surprised if you have a FAS-DPD test given that yours didn't come with a CYA test.

Welcome to TFP!

When the water turns milky white the algae is usually all dead. However, without an overnight FC loss test to confirm that, it is safer to maintain FC up around shock level, rather than risk having the algae come back.

I purchased a Taylor DPD Deluxe from the local pool store. I was told it had all I needed, including CYA, but it didn't.

It tests for FC from .5 to 5 ppm, pH from 6.8 to 8.2 plus TA, CC and Acid Demand.

I went directly to Taylor's website and purchased a K-1721 Test Kit for CYA using the disappearing black dot method.

I'll test my FC again this evening. If it is all gone, I'll reshock and then test for FC loss overnight. CC seems to be at or near zero.

Thanks again! I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Shea

We are in a similar boat- bought a near forclosure in December and open the pool in June to find that the pool has issues- perhaps from neglect. We also need to replace the liner- it is on order and I am dreading the replacemtn for fear that they will uncover tons more wrong with the pool( translate: money we don't have). How was the liner replacement? Did they do it in a day? I'd love to see pics if you could post. Do you have in floor cleaning jets in your pool? Ours has 5 of these little circles on the bottom, Apparently they pop up and spray the water around. The liner replacement guy is recommending covering them up totally and not using them anymore. We don;t have a clue and are inclined to go with his suggestion except that a friend has them in her vinyl liner pool and loves them.
Thanks for any advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.