Cinder Block Walls?

silver02gt

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 19, 2010
Rural Southern Illinois
I was looking into building my own inground pool, I really doubt that I will unless I buy land and build a new house, but you never know. Anyway, I seen several places showing people building the walls out of regular cinder blocks. I was just wondering if there was anyone on here that had any experience with this type of pool. At minimum I would like to have a 20' x 40' with 3.5-4' end for kids, with the other end sloping down to 8' or whatever is necessary to allow for diving from a diving board. Although, I would really like an L shaped pool to add an extra 20' x 10-20' to the shallow area. Thanks in advance for your knowledge!!!

That is a good choice Silver!
Without knowing for sure do I think cinderblock is the most cost effective way to build a pool.
If I should go that route myself would I choose 10" wide blocks and reinforcements in each shift.
A figure I have heard for a cinderblock wall is that you need reinforcements every 20 feet. Nothing complicated or expensive to achive, so no worries there.
Cinderblocks is a DIY project for sure. Buy yourself a cementmixer which you sell once you done. Besides for the mixer isn't there much tools you need. A couple of trowels and buckets and a good wheel barrow of course, masonry strings and a laser. Yeah a grinder so you can cut the rebars :goodjob: It's fun goes fast and turns out great :cheers:

I would consider buying a vinyl pool kit and installing it myself. If you have a high water table, building your own pool gets much more difficult, since the hole will constantly be filling with water.

BTW, where in So. Illinois are you located? I went to high school in Carbondale.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.